New Member From Langley Bc Ready To Start Lathe & Mill Shopping

IMG_3808_zpsrirl434p.jpg

IMG_3810_zpslbed3xrg.jpg

IMG_3811_zpscvorxcop.jpg

IMG_3814_zpsjtqipojd.jpg

IMG_3817_zps2hxlbltf.jpg

IMG_3818_zpsjdu01swa.jpg

IMG_3819_zpsvswp7xtv.jpg

Congrats David. I'm glad you got all the details ironed out. Look lik crates arrived unmolesred. The delivery truck crew did a nice job setting the machines right on the garage floor for you with no scary power tailgate/pallet Jack balancing act. Looking forward to seeing them in action.

John

Congratulations!

Thanks for all the delivery pictures, it's like being there.

Having those tall garage doors worked out very well for you!

-brino

Hi David

Very exciting. Nice to see the machines have arrived and they look great. Hope you have an awesome weekend drooling on them.. I mean cleaning them of course!

Cheers

John

Great Pictures, thanks and congrats.
Was the chuck shield an option? I have not seen that before.

Glad they are in place, looks good! Now you know what we deal with every day ha ha actually US customs is not bad, but every once in a while it turns in to a headache for no good reason. I love it when they randomly pull a shipment for an inspection, costs us an extra $500 + and at least a few days, for nothing more than a crate that was broken open and a piece of green tape that says inspected by US customs.
Or even better when the shipments come in through the west coast of Canada to Prince Rupert I think it is, and then to us by rail, just passing through Canada, and the Canada customs decides to flag it for a wood packaging inspection. An extra $1400 and at least a week, one time we had one delayed by a month just for that. Sometimes Canada Customs can be a real headache.

Anyway, now the fun part starts!

Also Monkman, the chip shield was to make it CSA Approved. We have them, but I think they get in the way, first thing most people used to take off ha ha.

Congrats David. I'm glad you got all the details ironed out. Look lik crates arrived unmolesred. The delivery truck crew did a nice job setting the machines right on the garage floor for you with no scary power tailgate/pallet Jack balancing act. Looking forward to seeing them in action.

John

Thanks John, yes the crates looked OK except where Canada Customs pulled a few boards off to inspect the machines.
If I had been thinking I would have got the truckers to help with removing the lathe off the pallet as well as the mill, would have taken them an extra 5 minutes but I was just happy to get them in the shop at the time and wasn't thinking ahead.

Congratulations!

Thanks for all the delivery pictures, it's like being there.

Having those tall garage doors worked out very well for you!

-brino

Yes the 10' X 10" doors on the shop allowed them to get the machines in with just the boom extended, it was pretty close to the top of the door but Steve the crane operator was a pro and got it within an inch or so without touching it.

Hi David

Very exciting. Nice to see the machines have arrived and they look great. Hope you have an awesome weekend drooling on them.. I mean cleaning them of course!

Cheers

John

John, thanks for your comments, I will have some info for you and I'll pass on the truckers contact details if you want as they were excellent.

The costs to clear the machines are as follows,
Destination Handling Charge $95.00
Brokerage Fee $95.00
Customs Exam Fee for LCL Shipment $45.00
Dock Fee $45.00
Warehouse Storage fee for extra 2 days $60.00
Truck Delivery $330.00 Richmond to Langley approx. 65 KM

TOTAL $670.00

No Duty but taxes extra.

Great Pictures, thanks and congrats.
Was the chuck shield an option? I have not seen that before.

Hi MonkMan, I needed to have the machines CSA approved as they were shipped direct to Vancouver from Taiwan, so I got a couple of extra items that the USA machines don't get, not sure if I'l leave the plexi guard on or not, probably get rid of it if it get in the way.

Cheers David.

Last edited:
Glad they are in place, looks good! Now you know what we deal with every day ha ha actually US customs is not bad, but every once in a while it turns in to a headache for no good reason. I love it when they randomly pull a shipment for an inspection, costs us an extra $500 + and at least a few days, for nothing more than a crate that was broken open and a piece of green tape that says inspected by US customs.
Or even better when the shipments come in through the west coast of Canada to Prince Rupert I think it is, and then to us by rail, just passing through Canada, and the Canada customs decides to flag it for a wood packaging inspection. An extra $1400 and at least a week, one time we had one delayed by a month just for that. Sometimes Canada Customs can be a real headache.

Anyway, now the fun part starts!

Also Monkman, the chip shield was to make it CSA Approved. We have them, but I think they get in the way, first thing most people used to take off ha ha.

Matt, thanks for all your help with getting the paperwork sorted to assist with the Customs Clearance, really appreciated the quick response.

If I did this again I would have you ship direct to me or to my freight guy in Lynden WA and I would go get them and clear them myself.

Yes nice to get the machines here and in the shop at last, but they still have another 20 -30ft to go before they are in their final resting spot, I'll post up some pictures on how that went shortly.

David.

Congrats, David. Still a few steps to go, then the chips will fly. Did you get the bike done? Hard to think straight when you have two big but unrelated projects on the go at the same time.

So I needed to move the machines into my part of the shop as I have a friend using my shop for car and boat storage for another 6 months.
I had been looking at CL for an engine hoist but never got my act together to go buy one and when I finally needed one today there was almost nothing available so I went and bought a new one.

Not knowing much about them I bought the Red one.

The workmanship on these hoists are OK but not great, I needed to thread chase most of the tapped holes but the rest went together pretty well.

IMG_3820_zpskg86q1bf.jpg

IMG_3821_zpsynzxfg3d.jpg

Here is the first test for the new hoist, once I got the mill up off the floor the machine would not move, I was thinking maybe I should have got the Yellow one at this point as it had nylon wheels.

They are setup to push but not pull, so I used a wooden 2X4 to get it started, once I got the wheels all in the right direction I was able to manhandle it into the small room off the side of the main shop.
IMG_3822_zpsyifgdlfq.jpg

Now I went to work on moving the lathe which was still on the pallet and I didn't fancy chopping the pallet up as I didn't have a suitable power tool to cut it in place.

I removed the parts of the pallet that I could and slid the hoist in from the headstock end.

With the arm set to 1 Ton, I got enough reach to lift the headstock end, and it allowed me to move it toward the hoist by lifting the tailstock end by hand.

Here's how I rigged it up, I removed the chuck and used a tow strap that was 20ft long so I doubled it up and wound it around till both ends were even.

IMG_3825_zpsfoxgwxv1.jpg

IMG_3823_zpsyrh1ylrl.jpg

I did this until I needed to add bits of wood in the middle to hold the rear pedestal from falling through the pallet as there was still about 100lbs or so weight on that end.

Once it was free on the headstock end I had my son pull the pallet out while I straddled the pallet, held the end up and he pulled the pallet out, I was then able to lower the machine down.

IMG_3826_zpska8ps8bd.jpg

Now I was able to lift from the middle with the strap wrapped around the bed and I moved the tail stock and apron outward until it was balanced.

IMG_3827_zps991kyljz.jpg

With the lathe being much lighter it was easier to move it into the other room beside the Mill and now I can start cleaning and getting ready to start the wiring, DRO install and setup of the machines.

Thanks for checking this out, always nice to hear that some of you are enjoying these posts.

David

Last edited:
Back