• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

New Member From Langley Bc Ready To Start Lathe & Mill Shopping

johnnyc14

Active User
John, you certainly have patience to work through the issues with your lathe, and that must be frustrating to have the TS moving after locking it down.

Good to hear your wife is committed to the work ahead of her, as I've known of a few people that just give up as they are working hard but not getting the progress they think they should.

BTW I did get some photos of the 14 X 40 Taiwan lathe, labelled as 'Advance' it was sold by Thomas Skinner & Son (still in business locally) and manufactured by Chiu Ting Machinery Company, (thought it was "Sum Ting Wong" but they're a different outfit) I googled Chiu Ting and looks like they only make wood working equipment now.

I'm going to recommend that he try selling it on CL locally unless you want to take a look at it, let me know if you want to pursue it, probably $3,500 would buy it. (i think it should list on CL for $4,200)

Comes with a 6" 3 jaw, a 6 or 8" 4 jaw, still in cardboard box, (so I didn't open it), steady rest, has a Norton Style Gear Box, QCTP and a small amount of tooling, including a live center, very lightly used mostly cutting Aluminum in hobby shop. (also has a threading dial which I found in a drawer after taking the pictures)

Just wonder about parts if ever needed, not sure what it other machine parts would fit.

Let me know if you're interested, they are not in a hurry to sell but would like to know either way in a week or so.

David, that lathe looks exactly like mine that is branded CanTek. Parts are still available through Arkhurst Machinery.

http://www.akhurst.com/

They have branch offices in Edmonton and Vancouver, my machine was purchased new from their Edmonton branch. Thomas Skinner has offices in Edmonton and Vancouver also and I would think you still get parts from them also. I have a PDF copy of the manual, if you need one I can email it to you.

My condolences regarding your friends passing, tough times indeed

Last edited:

Kiwi Canuck

H-M Supporter - Premium Content
H-M Supporter-Premium
David, that lathe looks exactly like mine that is branded CanTek. Parts are still available through Arkhurst Machinery.

They have branch offices in Edmonton and Vancouver, my machine was purchased new from their Edmonton branch. Thomas Skinner has offices in Edmonton and Vancouver also and I would think you still get parts from them also. I have a PDF copy of the manual, if you need one I can email it to you.

My condolences regarding your friends passing, tough times indeed.
John, thanks for the message.

That is excellent news on the manual, please forward it to davidb at citiloc dot com.

How is this lathe in your opinion? Any info to assist me in selling it would be appreciated.

HBilly1022 (also John) asked about metric threading on this lathe, does it require an extra set of gears or are they already installed?
I haven't looked in the pedestal cabinet very thoroughly yet, as they maybe in there.

Regards,

David

johnnyc14

Active User
Metric threading requires changing a gear.

This is the gear arrangement for metric threads.

This is English threads.

It's a pretty decent lathe, very similar in fact to the GT1340 you ordered.

I sent you the manual and the treading charts are in it.

Cheers,

John

Kiwi Canuck

H-M Supporter-Premium
Metric threading requires changing a gear.

It's a pretty decent lathe, very similar in fact to the GT1340 you ordered.

I sent you the manual and the treading charts are in it.

Cheers, John
Thanks John, got the email, yes I agree it's probably very similar to the lathe I ordered.

I'll need to get back over there and see if the extra gears for metric threading are stashed somewhere.

I was torn between buying Clint's machines and ordering from PM and decided it was better to just buy my own new machines from QMT.

Cheers,

David

Kiwi Canuck

H-M Supporter-Premium

My condolences regarding your friends passing, tough times indeed.

View attachment 224410 /QUOTE]

John, thanks to you I was able to order new half nuts for the CT1440 machine, as one of the casting was broken on the lower piece and Akhurst Machinery had them in stock in Edmonton, they overnighted them to Vancouver and offered to deliver no charge to my shop. I was near the Delta branch on other business so I dropped in and picked them up.

Unbelievable service and all for a $38.00 part.

So thank you for the referral and nice for it to work out so well.

Regards,

David

Kiwi Canuck

H-M Supporter-Premium
Quick update, I got the new half nut holders from Akhurst machinery as one was broken on the CT1440 and the next day sold the lathe for Clint's family, listed on CL sold same day full asking price.

Also got an email from QMT, yesterday, my machines ship from Taiwan Feb 20th, I think it's 3 weeks delivery from then.

Better get busy and get all my parts for the VFD install ready.

David.

Kiwi Canuck

H-M Supporter-Premium
Just got a call from the broker to let me know the ship arrives this weekend, and the machines will be available sometime next week at the warehouse.
They will clear the shipment and arrange delivery all for about $95.00 which is reasonable.
There will be a few other charges related to the port fees and port to warehouse transport so I'll post those details after I get the info.
I am still waiting on the VFD's from QMT so will not be ready to make chips for a while, even though it took more than 3 months since I ordered the machines the time has gone quickly, and I'll need to hustle to get everything ready for delivery next week.

My work has been very busy and I'm in the middle of a motorcycle rebuild so plenty to keep me occupied lately.
David

Kiwi Canuck

H-M Supporter-Premium
The last few days have been almost completely consumed with getting my machines through customs and having them delivered.

Certainly not all my time but certainly all my energy and focus has been on making this as smooth as possible.

The part I was most concerned about turned out to be the least stressful.

It really started last week, maybe Friday when I was told the shipment should be cleared and ready for delivery but it was not until late last night that the shipment was cleared by customs, due to the broker not having done this type of equipment before.

The invoice has the machine broken down into all the separate parts and options so they needed to find all the import codes for each piece, should have taken 2 hours but ended up taking days for some unknown reason.

He was the guy responsible for the container that my shipment arrived in, so I thought I'll use him rather than our usual broker, it was a struggle hearing every day that it will clear tomorrow.

I'm sure if he needed to clear another shipment like this one he would be awesome now that he's learned the way on this shipment.

I had a few trucking firms looking at helping with the delivery from the warehouse but each time I gave the weights & sizes they all said I'll need a crane truck, they will not fit on a tailgate, it's too unsafe to try.
Quotes for a crane truck was coming in at $600 plus and I was really resistant to pay that much until the broker found a guy who would do it for $120 delivered with a 5 ton truck with a tail gate.

I was set but just before all this went down the broker informs me I'll need to wire the funds to his bank in Toronto before they will release the shipment, I was about to loose a wheel when he told me that.
I would need to drive to the city and back just to pay the bill, as they will not take CC or cheques and I didn't want to try from a branch that doesn't know me and my account manager was out of town.

He finally emailed me and suggested I could take cash to any HSBC bank branch and direct deposit into their account, which I did right away.

So the truck is on the way and the dispatcher calls me to tell me they are coming in 1 hour, then 15 mins later he calls back, no go, too unsafe, driver has refused to deliver, far canal, can it get any more frustrating.
I was about to loose it again as I had arranged a crane truck on standby but cancelled when they found this new guy to take care of it.

As I'm in the Lock business and we need to move safe's occasionally so I called on a friend who moves a lot of safes and he recommended someone with a Flatbed fitted with a HIAB crane, he was able to do the pickup within an hour but had no pallet jack on board.

Best part was he was half the price of the previous quotes as well.

They showed up right when they said they would and did an awesome job getting them into the shop safely.

When I get Photobucket working I'll post some pictures.

johnnyc14

Active User
Congrats David. I'm glad you got all the details ironed out. Look lik crates arrived unmolesred. The delivery truck crew did a nice job setting the machines right on the garage floor for you with no scary power tailgate/pallet Jack balancing act. Looking forward to seeing them in action.

John

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
Congratulations!

Thanks for all the delivery pictures, it's like being there.

Having those tall garage doors worked out very well for you!

-brino

keenlyside

H-M Supporter-Premium
Hi David

Very exciting. Nice to see the machines have arrived and they look great. Hope you have an awesome weekend drooling on them.. I mean cleaning them of course!

Cheers

John

MonkMan

H-M Supporter-Premium
Great Pictures, thanks and congrats.
Was the chuck shield an option? I have not seen that before.

qualitymachinetools

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
Glad they are in place, looks good! Now you know what we deal with every day ha ha actually US customs is not bad, but every once in a while it turns in to a headache for no good reason. I love it when they randomly pull a shipment for an inspection, costs us an extra $500 + and at least a few days, for nothing more than a crate that was broken open and a piece of green tape that says inspected by US customs.
Or even better when the shipments come in through the west coast of Canada to Prince Rupert I think it is, and then to us by rail, just passing through Canada, and the Canada customs decides to flag it for a wood packaging inspection. An extra $1400 and at least a week, one time we had one delayed by a month just for that. Sometimes Canada Customs can be a real headache.

Anyway, now the fun part starts!

Also Monkman, the chip shield was to make it CSA Approved. We have them, but I think they get in the way, first thing most people used to take off ha ha.

Kiwi Canuck

H-M Supporter-Premium
Congrats David. I'm glad you got all the details ironed out. Look lik crates arrived unmolesred. The delivery truck crew did a nice job setting the machines right on the garage floor for you with no scary power tailgate/pallet Jack balancing act. Looking forward to seeing them in action.

John
Thanks John, yes the crates looked OK except where Canada Customs pulled a few boards off to inspect the machines.
If I had been thinking I would have got the truckers to help with removing the lathe off the pallet as well as the mill, would have taken them an extra 5 minutes but I was just happy to get them in the shop at the time and wasn't thinking ahead.

Congratulations!

Thanks for all the delivery pictures, it's like being there.

Having those tall garage doors worked out very well for you!

-brino
Yes the 10' X 10" doors on the shop allowed them to get the machines in with just the boom extended, it was pretty close to the top of the door but Steve the crane operator was a pro and got it within an inch or so without touching it.

Hi David

Very exciting. Nice to see the machines have arrived and they look great. Hope you have an awesome weekend drooling on them.. I mean cleaning them of course!

Cheers

John
John, thanks for your comments, I will have some info for you and I'll pass on the truckers contact details if you want as they were excellent.

The costs to clear the machines are as follows,
Destination Handling Charge $95.00
Brokerage Fee $95.00
Customs Exam Fee for LCL Shipment $45.00
Dock Fee $45.00
Warehouse Storage fee for extra 2 days $60.00
Truck Delivery $330.00 Richmond to Langley approx. 65 KM

TOTAL $670.00

No Duty but taxes extra.

Great Pictures, thanks and congrats.
Was the chuck shield an option? I have not seen that before.
Hi MonkMan, I needed to have the machines CSA approved as they were shipped direct to Vancouver from Taiwan, so I got a couple of extra items that the USA machines don't get, not sure if I'l leave the plexi guard on or not, probably get rid of it if it get in the way.

Cheers David.

Last edited:

Kiwi Canuck

H-M Supporter-Premium
Glad they are in place, looks good! Now you know what we deal with every day ha ha actually US customs is not bad, but every once in a while it turns in to a headache for no good reason. I love it when they randomly pull a shipment for an inspection, costs us an extra $500 + and at least a few days, for nothing more than a crate that was broken open and a piece of green tape that says inspected by US customs.
Or even better when the shipments come in through the west coast of Canada to Prince Rupert I think it is, and then to us by rail, just passing through Canada, and the Canada customs decides to flag it for a wood packaging inspection. An extra $1400 and at least a week, one time we had one delayed by a month just for that. Sometimes Canada Customs can be a real headache.

Anyway, now the fun part starts!

Also Monkman, the chip shield was to make it CSA Approved. We have them, but I think they get in the way, first thing most people used to take off ha ha.
Matt, thanks for all your help with getting the paperwork sorted to assist with the Customs Clearance, really appreciated the quick response.

If I did this again I would have you ship direct to me or to my freight guy in Lynden WA and I would go get them and clear them myself.

Yes nice to get the machines here and in the shop at last, but they still have another 20 -30ft to go before they are in their final resting spot, I'll post up some pictures on how that went shortly.

David.

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
Congrats, David. Still a few steps to go, then the chips will fly. Did you get the bike done? Hard to think straight when you have two big but unrelated projects on the go at the same time.

Kiwi Canuck

H-M Supporter-Premium
So I needed to move the machines into my part of the shop as I have a friend using my shop for car and boat storage for another 6 months.
I had been looking at CL for an engine hoist but never got my act together to go buy one and when I finally needed one today there was almost nothing available so I went and bought a new one.

Not knowing much about them I bought the Red one.

The workmanship on these hoists are OK but not great, I needed to thread chase most of the tapped holes but the rest went together pretty well.

Here is the first test for the new hoist, once I got the mill up off the floor the machine would not move, I was thinking maybe I should have got the Yellow one at this point as it had nylon wheels.

They are setup to push but not pull, so I used a wooden 2X4 to get it started, once I got the wheels all in the right direction I was able to manhandle it into the small room off the side of the main shop.

Now I went to work on moving the lathe which was still on the pallet and I didn't fancy chopping the pallet up as I didn't have a suitable power tool to cut it in place.

I removed the parts of the pallet that I could and slid the hoist in from the headstock end.

With the arm set to 1 Ton, I got enough reach to lift the headstock end, and it allowed me to move it toward the hoist by lifting the tailstock end by hand.

Here's how I rigged it up, I removed the chuck and used a tow strap that was 20ft long so I doubled it up and wound it around till both ends were even.

I did this until I needed to add bits of wood in the middle to hold the rear pedestal from falling through the pallet as there was still about 100lbs or so weight on that end.

Once it was free on the headstock end I had my son pull the pallet out while I straddled the pallet, held the end up and he pulled the pallet out, I was then able to lower the machine down.

Now I was able to lift from the middle with the strap wrapped around the bed and I moved the tail stock and apron outward until it was balanced.

With the lathe being much lighter it was easier to move it into the other room beside the Mill and now I can start cleaning and getting ready to start the wiring, DRO install and setup of the machines.

Thanks for checking this out, always nice to hear that some of you are enjoying these posts.

David

Last edited:

Kiwi Canuck

H-M Supporter-Premium
Congrats, David. Still a few steps to go, then the chips will fly. Did you get the bike done? Hard to think straight when you have two big but unrelated projects on the go at the same time.
Thanks Hawkeye, you mean this bike, the 1981 GS650E? this is when i picked it up in February.

Here is how it looks now, so not quite finished, ha ha.

Plenty work left to do on that one, but here's two I have finished.

David.

BFHammer

H-M Supporter-Premium
Thanks for sharing all the pics. Glad to see you got everything into it's temporary location.

The Suzukis look great - I didn't see the before pictures but the finished product looks awesome!

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
Those 1000s look great. You'll have your attention divided soon enough. Start making a list of tools you want to make for the tools. :grin:

Kiwi Canuck

H-M Supporter-Premium
Thanks for sharing all the pics. Glad to see you got everything into it's temporary location.

The Suzukis look great - I didn't see the before pictures but the finished product looks awesome!

Thanks for commenting on my thread BFHammer, my pleasure to post the pictures as it's a nice reference for myself and for others who maybe getting these machines in the future.

As far as the two 1980 Suzuki' GS1000S's, I did document the work on them, it's a long thread but plenty of pictures to look at if you care to.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?209217-1980-GS1000S-Reluctant-Rebuild

Cheers,

David.