New Look for my Index Super 55

jmhoying

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As anyone who has seen an Index Super 55 knows, they are a bit of an Ugly Duckling. The lack of a front cover over the spindle also makes it a bit dangerous for fingers. I'd been thinking about fabricating some sort of cover for it, but then my wife retired a well used, 30 year old, 22 quart pressure cooker. The diameter was almost perfect and the thick walls (almost 1/8") made for a great head. I used a cut-off wheel to trim it down to 7" high, and then made the cuts for the feed, etc. I had a local sign shop print a sticker that I made in Photoshop (which mimics the text on a Super 55 sales brochure) to complete the new look. Hopefully in the next year, the whole mill will be the color of it's new lid.

Original look
IndexHead3.jpg

New Look
IndexHead2.jpg

Front View
IndexHead1.jpg

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

IndexHead3.jpg IndexHead2.jpg IndexHead1.jpg

Jack,

I......I.......I.......I'm speechless! That is such a cool mod!!!! :man: I love it when folks think outside the box and this certainly qualifies for that. Outstanding job.

Steve

I'm with Steve on this. That is one of the best mods I have ever seen and makes so much sense you wonder why the factory didn't send it out that way.

It's got me taking a closer look at my wife's "pots and pans" as well... ;) :biggrin:

Nice one!

-Ron

Jack, looks like "OEM", great job!
Larry

Nice work. I have also employed some @aftermarket@ guards for my tool grinder which are just aluminium pots that have been cut to fit the various wheel sizes :))

Paul.

Back