NEW Leadscrew for Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe from Clausing

Be advised that this new leadscrew is not a drop-in replacement.
Need to do some meticulous work. :fingerwag:

Cleaned off the new leadscrew and checked for straightness.
Found a very slight bend, only about 0.005" runout. Got it to less than 0.002".

View attachment 94867

View attachment 94867
I know this is an old post, so appologies if that is frowned on around here, but since no one else commented on it, I was wondering if you had any further info on this interesting straightening jig/setup on what appears to be your wood lathe.

I had the same dilemma as you. My new-to-me Atlas/Craftsman 6x18 101.21400 6" lathe had a worn lead screw and I was not looking forward to playing Russian Roulette on eBay. I read here that you picked up a new one from Clausing in 2015, so I held my breath and gave them a call. To my surprise, they still have the 3950-16 in stock. The big difference is now, in 2023, it costs $210.15. C’est la vie. It's only money.

I got a decent used one for my 3950 MK2- ended up swapping the collars; they are different between round head and square head models. Worked great and saved some ducats

Did you happen to ask them how many they still had. And/or whether when current stock is exhausted they will automatically have a few more made?

They do periodically make new ones or sometimes give the prints out on some parts.

Back