New Lathe.new Guy On Forum.

L

Lordbeezer

Forum Guest
Register Today
looking for info on Sheldon lathe catalog number TC-354. 10"with 54 "bed.serial number places it made 51 or 52.found at cherry point air station 35-40 years ago by civil employee.shop made slide and compound.1 1/2 x 8 spindle.twin lever gearbox.getting ready to clean her up.been looking and learning for awhile.lots of smart folks here

Hi,

The Sheldon lathe is a nice machine - I have a 10 EXL that I cleaned-up and a little rebuilding. It was lucky find as it was saved from a scrap yard.

There is a fellow named John Knox http://leatherdrivebelts.com/ who is a bit of an expert on the Sheldon items - he worked for the company. He now runs a business making leather drive belts and the site posted is his. He is a great guy and willing to help.

Post what you find out - we all need the education.

Be well,
DBN aka John

+1 on John Knox, he is a gold mine of information. He is pretty involved with the yahoo group. If you also join that group there is a ton of information and literature that you can download.
You might want to check your spindle thread, most/many 10" sheldons had either 1 3/4-8 (with a #4 morse taper) or a 2 1/4-8 (with a 'short' #5 morse taper).

Forgot to post a picture of shop made compound..lathe has been long gone to a new homeimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Back