New lathe/mill

Well the picture looks nice and the price is right, in fact maybe too right. :cautious: I have never heard of the vendor, they are in Indonesia. Grizzly was selling a line under the Southbend name, but I think they discontinued the line. This could be overstocks or something.

I wonder how much shipping is, and how much the stand (not included) is? At least when Grizzly was selling them, you have a USA company to go to when things went south. Not sure what you might have here.

Looks like a nice machine. I know some SB dealers, including Grizzly I believe, were selling their stock of SB off. Not sure why but they make a nice machine. Some nice features on this like cam lock spindle, (makes it easier to find other chucks; also retains accuracy better when changing chucks). These are also a nice machines at prices well below normal
http://equipments-tools.com/metal-wood-machinery/178-grizzly-g0776-gunsmithing-lathe-with-dro.html
http://equipments-tools.com/metal-wood-machinery/214-baileigh-pl-1236e-metal-lathe.html

Well, they could, and it might actually be cheaper than the gear train.. Then if you added a motor on the cross slide you would have a full CNC machine.

The problem that I see is that you would lose manual capability. This is one of the things that is slowing me down on converting my lathe to CNC. I haven't really dove into the design yet, but when I get to that project, it will be manual/CNC convertible with a flick of a lever/switch. My mill is full 4 axis CNC or manual with a flick of a lever and a switch.

For that I was thinking that one could easily do that with a handle attached and just remove all power from the servo/stepper motor

Shipping on the sb was 227. Still a good price but I was concerned that they might take the money and run. If they are in Indonesia what could you reasonably do.

For that I was thinking that one could easily do that with a handle attached and just remove all power from the servo/stepper motor

On the cross slide, you could just cut power to the servo. You would want to use a brushed DC servo, they don't cog. The longitudinal travel is a bit more difficult. Normally you use a motor attached to a ball screw that drives the carriage. But the ball screw, even if mechanically disconnected from the motor, still presents some resistance to movement. And that would not be acceptable in my book. But it is entirely possible to use the rack & pinion to drive the carriage. That coupled with a brushed DC servo might make an acceptable system. Then the only issue is controlling the backlash in the rack & pinion, and that actually pretty easy.

Found a lathe that looks intersting
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/6099775766.html
Looks like it may be nearly worth it just for the tooling. I have not been able to schedule a change to look at it.
Just wondered what you guys thought.

If that falls through I was leaning toward one of these two options.
1. My parents live in Springfield MO so the next option is to drive there and pick one up.
I was thinking of the G0752Z (G0602 w/ extras) and the G0704 mill. Would be nice just to walk into a show room and then have them load it up.

2. The precision mathews pm1022v and pm25mv. These are a bit more but the extras IMHO more than makes up the difference.

Just wondered what you guys thought.

TIA

I would in my opinion give QMT a call and talk, you may be surprised with there helpfulness. I will vouch for the customer service there. And by the way if the electronic driven leadscrew thing is still a thought Google electronic lead screw and read up on the ELS project. I did some research on that a couple years ago and was fascinated . Or this link http://autoartisans.com/ELS/

Just curious, why the pm1022v instead of the pm1030v? Seems like it would
be worth the additional $100 for the extra 8".

I was considering the pm1030 and may still do it if that is the option taken.

Some interesting experiences

I did call QMT. They were friendly but when I asked why I shoukd buy there vs someone else selling what looks like the same machin the response was that there really wasn't much difference. I was hoping to here something more mutually helpful. Like he keeps a better control on the quality from the manufacturer or customer service. Too bad PA is 1000+ mi away. Would like to see and talk face to face.

I tried to call the weiss phone # from the US site but never got an answer and many machines list for $0 on the web. Hmmm

Found a few used machines. Low end machines here seem to ask what the current retail prices. Some good deals on big machines but don't have the space for 2000# + machines. Other mid range like sb 9 or 10's go fast or are junk. Asked one what the brand or model or the swing and they respond that they don't know anything about machinery.

LMS machines are a bit smaller than desired.

On the web site above with the sb with a "great" asked me to wire the money first to Indonesia. Many of the machines on amazon do the same By asking for email first. Reported but they still show up every Friday eve and disappear in a few hours only to show up again under different name.

Quite an experience so far. Lol

Back