New Guy: Upgrade Parts Or Entire Lathe?

I got the metal gear kit for head with tool from micro-mark http://www.micromark.com/metal-gear-set-for-mini-lathes-and-milling-machines,8555.html had everything you need to change them out including the gears....i did buy gears from LMS, ones in kit from micromart were two piece i think and only included metal gears for spindle shaft.

How much force did it take to seat the new taper bearings on the spindle? I got the micromark kit today and tried to reassemble things but the taper bearings require so much force that I rip the fixture out of the vice while trying to press the bearing onto the spindle.

Now to be fair, I was under the impression that the new tapered bearing kits came with the kit (they didn't) so I took the original bearings, spindle, and head stock to a local bearing supplier who had them in stock and all the measurements where the same (so they should work)

Am I doing something wrong? I am thinking of taking it to les schwab and seeing if they can press the bearings for me real quick.

when installing taper bearings you need to make some spacers 2 of them 1.25mm thick if I remember, I still have not put the taper bearing in mine, order some precission washers McMaster Carr am hoping will work out. I got my tapper bearings for LMS.

This project may be the death of me. For those in the market, do your research and before making the purchase of one of these lathes used, make sure it has all the parts, or that your going to easily replace the missing ones.

My new spindle (i know not needed) from London that allows use of the 4 jaw with out an adapter showed up. So I start assembling and I notice more and more parts are missing. Can some one please assist in making sure this next order to littlemachine shop is complete!

1 I am missing a bushing for the b/c gears. I have one for the 80 tooth gear, but ont one for the 40. ( I was missing all change gears when I bought it and the previous owner used about 8 washers to take up the space of the 40 tooth).

2 I also need a pinion bolt for the lead screw drive.

The photo below is how the lathe came, before I tore it down. You can see the half dozen washers and missing pinion(?) Hope this helps.

1RWWtRo.jpg

1RWWtRo.jpg

1RWWtRo.jpg

1RWWtRo.jpg

1RWWtRo.jpg

1RWWtRo.jpg

Looks like 2 spanner nuts that go on spindle are missing or am not seeing them. If I get time, can take a couple pictures of mine for you to look at, I to got the spindle for 4" chucks. Will be in shop today and will take a close look at mine.take few picture, Mine is in running order but broke down to bare parts where I have been upgrading it.

I started tearing down before I took the photo then decided a pic was probably a good idea. The spanner nuts are in my possession.

Some better pics would be awesome and much appreciated. I know there are some on the internet but most are grainy and of poor detail.

will see what i can do today for, i started tearing mine down, having more fun modifing it now than anything, lol.

I totally get the fun with modifications!! This has been very frustrating but also a cool learning experience because, by trade, I am not mechanically inclined. I can't wait to get it up and running. Then next month I will order the extended bed kit and then have a very useful tool for life... I mean it would be foolish to part with it at this point with all the emotion invested.

So I got the lathe all put back together and was going through a break in procedure for the C3 lathe (incrementally increasing RPMs at 10 min intervals) and I noticed a "hot smell". The head stock was warm to the touch. I looked into preload for these new bearings but did not see too much. Is some heat to be expected now with metal gears and new bearings? For lubricant I used white lithium grease in the bearings and head stock gears.

not done my yet, but sounds like you have to much preload on bearings, need to back off just a touch......
\

Back