New Guy: Upgrade Parts Or Entire Lathe?

mzvarner

Registered
Registered
Hi all. New to the home machinist world. I recently purchased a used Central Machine 7x10 (SKU 33684) and I am really enjoying the process, but already finding myself wanting a larger lathe setup. I have ordered a number of parts from LMS to get setup including; Tormach QCTP/ tool holders, tail stock jacobs chuck, various tooling/ drills/ center drills/ boring bars, 4" 4 jaw chuck with adapter plate, and most recently the LMS metal gear kit. While i was placing that order I noticed they make an aftermarket extended bed kit which looks to be compatible with my machine.

So this got me thinking of 2 choices. I can purchase the bed extension kit and the extended cross slide kit then swap all the existing parts over (ultimately saving money this route and having a lathe bigger in both axis). Or I can sell the current Central Machine lathe and use that money towards the largest lathe that all the equipment I already purchased is compatible with (Grizzly 8688, maybe the Grizzly 7x14)

Honestly the more I think about it the more I want to swap parts over to the bed extension. I would get a longer bed and more cross slide travel and save money this way, assuming that all the existing machinery (mainly tail stock and carriage) are compatible with the bed extension (i.e. they all have the compatible front way track that is semi triangular).

Just in case it makes a difference I am using this mostly for fun to learn a new skill, simple DIY projects, and home gun smithing. Eventually my wife and I are going to get acreage so I imagine at some point I may end up with a larger one yet but the bed extension should hold me over till I move out of a garage and into a shop.

you can find a nice used lathe, just be patient. they come up

To use the tooling you already bought. May as well upgrade it and save the money. No matter how big of machine you have there is always times you wish it was a little bigger.

I have the grizzly 7x12 lathe and did the upgrade to 16", was really easier than i thought, and that extra 4" make a big difference.

I have the grizzly 7x12 lathe and did the upgrade to 16", was really easier than i thought, and that extra 4" make a big difference.

Can you comment more on the process? I assume you used the LMS bed extension kit? or is there another option on the market I have yet to find?

There are not many reviews of the process that I am able to find. I know that there is some Drilling/ tapping required. How hard is it to drill a straight hole in cast iron? The instructions say you only need an electric hand drill. There is one multi video review on you tube of the process and the author ended up having to drill a new hole for the change gear guide screw. Any other issues/ advice you can add? I am really leaning in this direction but I am new to the process and want to make sure I am not going to get in over my head and end up with a wasted casting w/ broken taps/ misaligned holes and just end up buying a Grizzly 7 x 14 (if all my parts will transfer)

I used a hand drill for all tapped holes, really didn't have any problems, the cast iron taps very easy. If i remember one tapped hole for the rack I think fell on a radius on the back side which made drill and tapping that one a little hard. It take some time to line up the rack with carriage and cross-screw so they do not bind. This is done by clamping bearings blocks that cross-screw runs in. When you can move carriage from one end to the other without binding. transfer punch location of top holes. Drill and tap. than install screw and do same for bottom ones. This part takes time to get right but is not hard. The motor mount for this unit fits but it is very tight and a pain to get in place but it can be done. Would I do this conversion again, in a heart beat. http://littlemachineshop.com/Instructions/5000BedExtensionKit16.pdf this link will get you the complete instruction for the upgrade. Any question feel free to ask.

You should sell me your little lathe so I can use it to make a welding positioner. Use the funds to find a nicer lathe :)

(I have yet to find one of those lathes on the secondary market)

I got mine off Ebay, 7x12 Grizzly, since then have add the 16" extension, reworking head for taper roller bearing with seals. Purchase spindle out of England to take 4" chucks without adaptor. It has been a really Great little lathe.

@P T Schram- Ill keep you in mind should that day come :)

So I ordered the complete metal gear kit from LMS (mostly b/c i dont have any change gears) but also in case I broke the rest ( which i did last night). So there is not a lot on swapping gears on the internet that I can find. Most of the resources are upgrading the spindle bearing to a tapered bearing, and it looks like this process requires a press. DO I need to use a press to change out the various gears? Is there directions in the LMS gear kit or can some one point me in the direction of a good resource?

Back