New Guy Just Bought First Mill. Need Local Class.

Big_Blue

Registered
Registered
I took the plunge and bought a HF mini-mill (http://www.harborfreight.com/two-speed-variable-bench-mill-drill-machine-44991.html). Used a 25% coupon and got it just before Christmas for about $400.

After watching scores of Youtube video I finally decided to jump into the hobby myself. I've never used a mill before and am looking forward to it. I think it would help if I could find a local hobby class. Anybody know how to go about finding one?

My mill isn't even unpacked yet. I can hear it calling to me at night...

It would be helpful if everyone knew what area you live in. :)

You could also check with your local JC to see if they are aware of any.

This reminds me of the heating and AC forum I frequent...

The DIY-ers are always asking questions about sizing systems (BTU's of heat, and Tons of AC)... yet they never bother to fill in their location. I guess the idea of different climates requiring different capacity (yeah, it is warmer in the south and colder in the north)... does not register. :)

Generally, the local junior college may have a night class... I would check with them.

Congratulations on the Mill. As a completely new guy to the metal working world as well I would suggest you get the mill cleaned and set up. Bill suggested that to me when I got mine and the process of taking the machine apart and cleaning/adjusting it was very informative. I took everything on my mill apart, the bed, pulled the head off, pulled the motor off, opened up the electronics... I have to admit though that I have 40 years experience as a woodworker and am comfortable setting up tools, calibrating and adjusting machines. Not to the tolerances of machine tools, but the concepts are the same, just smaller increments. Watching videos by Tom's Techniques has been ver helpful as well. He does a great job and makes concepts easy to understand. One of your best resources is this forum. Good luck!

A couple of basic starter projects that get you used to locating holes and some cutting to size etc. are always a good thing to do, i like to do some form of work holding device of i'm practicing a new tequeniqe , their always handy when your done with it :)

Welcomme to the madness, hope class hunting goes well.

Stuart

I edited the post as ive noticed a forum bug I think,

Oops! I guess it would have helped if I'd mentioned that I live east of Atlanta just outside the loop.

Hi BB
I have used my 44991 mill for about 4 years now and finally overstressed it. I had a 1 1/8" drill bit in it and when the bit was just about through a piece of 1/4" steel plate the bit caught and busted up 2 gears in the mill. I ordered them from Little Machine Shop . com and am very pleased with their service.
(I had ordered the small tightening knob of the right side of the column from HF.com and it cost me $5.00 for the knob and almost $7.00 for shipping and handling.) The two gears I ordered from LMS were very reasonably priced and only cost about $3.50 for s&H. (I ordered 2 of each, 1 set for spares).
So 2 bits of advice: Don't overload it and check out LMS for parts.
I hope you enjoy your mill as much as I have enjoyed mine. Look into a rotary table to use. Adds a great deal of versatility to your mill.
NodakGary

I had a 1 1/8" drill bit in it and when the bit was just about through a piece of 1/4" steel plate the bit caught and busted up 2 gears in the mill.
NodakGary

wow that's quite a big drill bit for that size machine, had it handled that sort of thing previously?

Stuart

Hi Stuart,
Nope, I had a brain-phart for even thinking I could use that big of a drill in it. Ah, the experience of education. Lol. I was trying to hog out a hole in 1/4" plate for a bearing mount. I could have used a belt-driven drill press but was closer to the mill and tried it. Smarter now.
I had to build a small overhead lift to help with getting the motor unit off the column, so that is one more tool in the shop inventory. The motor unit came off pretty easily and can be hand lifted but I had a "cardiac experience" last June and really feel it if I lift or pull too energetically. Anyway I got to see the inside of my mill and appreciate it more now.
NodakGary

Back