New Guy from GA.

gasmith

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone, first post here. I work as a gunsmith and have been trained in some machining and have also worked in a machine shop doing precision grinding. However, I have a limited amount of experience. I was wondering where the best place to start on the forum would be if anyone had possibly posted tutorials and/or videos that would help me to brush back up. I havent touched a lathe or mill since '08 and need to get back into it to grow my business. Any input is appreciated. Also, anyone who wants to discuss gunsmithing, go ahead and PM me.

That lazy Machinist
Tubalcain (mr.pete222)
Tom's Techniques
Keith Rucker
Midway USA

all these guys on Youtube are excellent and may have some info that you may desire
these aren't the only guys, but any/all are a good place to start :)

Welcome to the forums gasmith!

I'm no gunsmith by profession, but have mentored under a very good pistolsmith and have been building my own pistols for USPSA and Steel Challenge type shooting since the mid 80s. Even managed to build a ar-10 based on a 80% lower.

Not sure I can help in any way, but holler if you think I can. :)

Thanks for the replies guys. Im working on expanding my capabilities and this is definitely a n area I need to get mastered to be a true professional.

Welcome to the forums gasmith!

I'm no gunsmith by profession, but have mentored under a very good pistolsmith and have been building my own pistols for USPSA and Steel Challenge type shooting since the mid 80s. Even managed to build a ar-10 based on a 80% lower.

Not sure I can help in any way, but holler if you think I can. :)

Thanks Bill. I do quite a lot of pistolsmithing that doesnt require machine tools already. My internal work on metal guns is top notch and I have built several guns for the gamer crowd. This includes 1911/2011, Tanfoglio, and CZ. CZs are my specialty and my fav handguns made. The industry is moving toward innovation and Im not missing this boat. lol

We were 'innovating' back in the mid 80s when we started shooting single stack .45s with Clark single chamber comps on them. We've come a long way since then. :)

Some cool stuff is out there now. I still get a kick out of those old school custom jobs. Just the ingenuity when there was nothing around. A local guy here was putting on Smithh revolver sights so 1911s would have an adjustable rear back in the late 70s.

Yup, did a few conversions with S&W revolver sights. Cheaper than buying a Gold Cup. Back then we had to make pretty much everything. I still do for the most part. The 2011 in my avatar is being test fitted with the 40 S&W top end. I made a 10mm auto top end for the same frame with a full profile compensator hogged out of 4140. Absolutely zero muzzle flip during recoil. Works real good. :)

Nowadays too many so-called gunsmiths just throw parts together to make a pistol. I've had to fix too many like that. Kinda like the auto body shops of today just replace parts instead of working the metal like I learned how to do. Newer is usually better, but not always.

Had a millennial in my face (politely) at a local match going on about his plastic pistol and how great it was. Not only did I have a better time on the stage, but I had better hits on the targets. With a single-stack Kimber. Don't get me wrong, I love my Glock 20 for what it is, but I still love the 1911 design the best for customizing.

Back