New gas filler neck for Lincoln Weldanpower

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
I was given a Lincoln Weldanpower welder/generator last week that hadn't been run in at least the last 15 years. I got the engine running after soaking the cylinder with ATF for a day and cleaning out the carburetor. Someone had replaced the original gas neck on the tank with something from a vehicle or tractor and I couldn't find a new cap for it. The brazing job they did was pretty bad also so I decided to remove it and make a replacement like the original.
DSCF1506.jpg

DSCF1510.jpg

Since I have many small engine driven tools I found one with the right gas neck and copied it.

DSCF1511.jpg

DSCF1513.jpg

I hand ground the threading tool to match the profile of the rolled thread.

DSCF1517.jpg

New neck sweated in place.

DSCF1515.jpg

DSCF1516.jpg

Last edited:
Sure made that look easy---------------very cool thanks

Very nice repair. The old one could have been a gas cap, but it also could have been a radiator cap. Good save.

It was likely a gas neck off a old tractor. I went thru the drawings(I still have a real auto parts store with paper catalogs) of all the automotive gas caps back to the 40's and didn't find one with the right dimensions. Best guess is that it was from the gas tank from one of the old gas start diesel tractors. For future reference I did find a place where you can buy a new neck to sweat on. This place has lots of stuff for old iron. http://www.enginads.com/pedersen/

Last edited:
Back