New G4003G lathe

alan camby

Active User
Registered
Hi everyone.
I received a new g4003g just a little over a week ago.

Thought I would post some pictures of the machine and I also have some questions.

The machine came with 2 wrenches for the 3 and 4 jaw chucks. It also came with a square female wrench. What is this wrench for?

I read through the manual about threading and have successfully cut a 20tpi thread. Since the lead screw is cut with inch threads you can use the thread dial for all tpi threads. The manual said do not use the thread dial for metric threads. How do you stay with the thread for each pass if you can't use the thread dial. Or can you just engage the half-nut at any point?

I a sure I will have some more questions but no one is going to want to read all my rambling at once. So here are some of the pictures.

I was not very happy with the paint job on the machine. Here is the worst area. Grizzly is sending me 2 cans of paint.
lathe5-16-13030_zpsb8cf7fce.jpg

One of the tool posts is not tapped very strait. They are sending me another. Don't see why it still could not be used but it does look stupid.
lathe5-16-13027_zpsa108e51c.jpg

I ran the break in period with the side cover off. noticed that the key was coming out of the key way when i shut down the machine to change speeds. I lightly hammered the key back in and noticed the set screw was loose (thought it was strange the set screw was 180 degrees from the key way) so i tightened it up and ran the machine some more. About 20 min later I heard what sounded like a pellet from a pellet gun hitting a bucket on the other end of the garage. Shut down the machine and saw that the key was gone. I tapped a 10-24 thread in the pulley on top of the key way and installed a set screw. I have never seen a machine where the pulleys don't have a set screw over the key way.

Here is my added set screw.
lathe5-16-13017_zps1011006e.jpg

more to follow.

I have a small crack in the stationary part of this dial. It looks like a paint chip in the picture but it is a crack. Grizzly is sending me the piece.
lathe5-16-13028_zpsb1e3187d.jpg

I took the top off of the headstock after the break in period to look at the gears and such. There were some small metal pieces as would be expected from the gears mating with each other. I tried to use a pocket telescopic magnet to get them out but it did not work all that well. The magnet wanted to stick to everything in the gearbox instead.
lathe5-16-13021_zps635c606a.jpg

So I put 3 very strong magnets in the bottom of the gearbox, added oil, installed cover, and ran the machine for about 30 min. Removed the cover and the magnets collected the metal. After cleaning the magnets I put them back in and figured they would like to live in there. I think this is a good modification to any oil filled gear box.

Here are 2 of the magnets after the 30 minute run.
lathe5-16-13024_zps77e25fe1.jpg

I apologize if you have already seen these next few pics in other threads but thought I would keep all my pictures in this thread so they would all be in one spot.

Made 4 of these to hold the feet under my lathe stands. I tried to make them in a way to keep the lathe as low as possible.
lathefeet002_zpsf6ec7b64.jpg

lathefeet004_zps47a6b43b.jpg

lathefeet001_zps3345e2a4.jpg

And here is my first attempt at threading. A 1/2-20 thread in 1/2 W1 drill rod.
IMG_20130521_181002_200_zpseaf3fd99.jpg

IMG_20130521_181136_051_zpse5e17258.jpg

Nice lathe I hope you enjoy it, Great idea on the magnets. I think I'll put some in one of mine.

Paul

Thanks for sharing your pictures and comments. I have several friends that have the G4003G and are very happy with them. It is unfortunate that there are thee flaws but easy fixes. I have the G0509G and yes there were some fixes, but I am happy with the machine. Have fun making chips. Bob

Hi everyone.
I received a new g4003g just a little over a week ago.

Thought I would post some pictures of the machine and I also have some questions.

The machine came with 2 wrenches for the 3 and 4 jaw chucks. It also came with a square female wrench. What is this wrench for?

The square female wrench is usually included for tightening the square head screws on a 4 way tool post. Although the two Grizzly lathes I have seen have had Allen head screws in the 4 way tool post. Either way you are using a QCTP so it doesn’t matter.

alan camby

I have a G4003G Lathe, I think your square wrench fits the square head bolt that locks the saddle for facing cuts. I got a complete set of open end wrenches, hex keys, chuck keys and if I'm recalling correctly a "rocker" style tool post, although that might have been an extra. I know I ordered extra QC style tool holders. Those
"rocker" style tool posts use a square head bolt as do the "Armstrong" tool holders.

Olin

Thanks guys for the help. That makes since with the square wrench, guess I will not need it for now.

Added a shelf to the lathe
IMG_20130524_102037_856_zps1ef4e840.jpg

And a set of drawers, seen here without the drawers installed. The rack and drawes are made by Durham
IMG_20130524_102229_417_zpsceb4dc68.jpg

Inside of one of the drawers
IMG_20130522_210453_673_zpse48d3ef8.jpg

Congrads on the new G4003G! I received mine 2 weeks ago. I have not had any issues with it and operation has been flawless. I changed the gearbox oil after 2 hour runin and had no issues with metal particles of any size. I did add 1/2 bottle of Power Punch Moly gear additive to the oil change. It really quited down the gear whine, running very smooth. I do like the magnet idean in the transmission although I would be weary of a very small magnet that could be picked up with cold fluid. A larger magnet would not be easily moved about.
I see some of you have made brackets to level the lathe, good show! I would suggest you bolt it to the floor for a more stable platform. Enjoy the new machine. I really am happy with mine after using a Logan 10X24 the the last 8 years. Hope to build some hunting rifles with the new unit.

(SNIP) I did add 1/2 bottle of Power Punch Moly gear additive to the oil change. It really quited down the gear whine, running very smooth. (SNIP)QUOTE] Really quieted down the gear whine? I'll have to try that next time I change oil. Every time I run my G4003G at high rpm, it makes that loud whine. :p Thanks. ---ortho

Back