New G0759 Owner - New Guy Questions

Hi Dave,

I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. What is the total height of the 759 sitting on the with the mill head at its maximum height?
Thanks in advance.

Gary
The mill is 62 1/4" high, with the head all the way up it is almost 69" to the top of the motor.

I am considering ordering the G0759. It seems to be a bargain with the DRO. However, I have one misgiving about the machine. Perhaps owners of the G0759 and of the G0704 would comment.

These mills' spindle travel is only 2 inches. Other mills in the same size/price range and even smaller ones have spindle travels of 3 to 4 inches. How limiting have users found this to be? I know, I know, "it depends upon what you want to make". I just want to hear others' experiences with this limitation. Also, if you need a tool travel of more than 2 inches, is it OK to use the Z-axis hand wheel to achieve this?

Thanks for your responses.

I am working on changing my G0759 mill to CNC per Hoss instructions. In that case the quill is locked and everything
is done using the Z axis by moving the head.
I am a hobbyist and am very satisfied with the mill. The DRO is great to have, since I have not completed the
CNC project yet.

I know this thread was started a while ago but I had a few things to add that might help those to come along and find it later. I like the DRO that came with it. I didn't find a cheaper or better way to do this than what grizzly had done and I was up and running out of the box. I have had the end mill cutter pull into the work a time or two but I I try to NOT get crazy tightening the draw bar. The quill travel has never been an issue for me. For drilling ops I move the head close so the bit is only about 1/4 turn of the handle on the quill. I wish the DRO on the quill was on the big DRO but that is my only complaint

A friend of mine made me this spindle lock. I love it and would never consider using the pin lock that came with the mill. It has a steel pin and set screw holding it so I can pull it out and clean it up if it wears.

7FD385D8-1C1B-412A-8AE4-372FA1630B8F_zps6emwuwhi.jpg

I added a counterweight to the head and it makes cranking the head up MUCH easier. I have it balanced pretty close and up is just as easy as down.

b2d9b80e70e881dbf53430ebe862b48c_zps6z4nofrq.jpg

Here is my simple collet rack I made out of .040" aluminum I had on hand.

1C7F2F7F-3851-4C57-AC34-506B2F514451_zpsd4vcltdv.jpg

Jim

There is ALSO a DRO on the quill, but it is a LCD style. I actually use it most of the time and don't use the z axis DRO on the primary DRO. The nice thing on the quill is the fine movement on the knob allowing good control, better than moving the entire head. I am still learning about all this sort of thing so keep that in mind as you consider my rambling.

Jim

In your second pic it looks like your using a model crane to help move the head. :laughing:

Back