1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

New Forum for 3 in 1 machines

Discussion in 'SMITHY, SHOPMASTER, GRIZZLY & OTHER 3-IN-1 MACHINES' started by Pmedic828, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Dataporter

Dataporter United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Atwater
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Hi Domperna52, I bought my Smithy CB 1220 XL used off craigslist for $1100. It came with a lot of tooling and even some brass, steel and aluminum raw materials. So keep your eye out for that kind of a deal. I haven't been in the market for a 3 in 1 for a long time so I don't have much advice for a new one. Smithy.com of course, I've been able to get parts and advice for mine. Boltontool.com grizzly.com maybe Harbor Freight mini lathe and mini mill.
    Thank you, thank you for working with the High School Robotics team! The elimination of industrial arts from junior high and high school is something that I hope doesn't come back to bite America you know where.
    Best of luck in your search
    Dave

jhv001 likes this.
  2. domperna52

domperna52 United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Landenberg
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the note. I've started checking out various machines on line at the web sites you listed, and will make a comparison list of the features to help with the purchase decision. I do believe that the lack of industrial arts in junior and high schools will bite us down the road. I don't know where else future engineers/scientists will get any practical hands on experience to balance their academic education. I find it sad.

countryguy likes this.
  3. ACS_Super

ACS_Super United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Lansdale
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Agree with Dwight. We have the same machine as you, also with a 3 axis DRO. So far, I have not ran into a project I could not complete with the Smithy. I learned to machine on a Bridgeport and South Bend, and used the same machines for years at my company. Was laid off, and the new outfit just can't justify the cost of the larger machines. They bought a Smithy a few years back and I have been very pleased and impressed with the quality of work this thing can do. It's a great machine, and would not hesitate to buy one for my own home some day.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    countryguy likes this.
  4. BackyardWorkshop

BackyardWorkshop United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Clearwater
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Hey guys - another 3-in1 owner here too - I JUST got the Smithy Granite 1340 Max - I had an Enco 3-in-1 and it was good enough for me except for a few things (like no power feed when milling and changing thread gears) and so far I'm loving the Smithy

5. intjonmiller

intjonmiller United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Layton
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

I have always liked the concept of the 3-in-1. It makes perfect sense for a few situations, most particularly those who want more than a drill press, but less than a fully complemented machine shop (occasional lathe and milling tasks, but infrequent enough that the changeover isn't a real issue), and those who simply do not have room for separate machines. I thought that was where I was headed for my small shop, but then my brother offered me his lathe (our father's old lathe) on indefinite loan. So now I have a decent lathe and no mill. I don't agree with the argument that I'm any better off than if I had a 3-in-1 (other than the tremendous cost savings in my specific example). I'm frankly frequently frustrated when I need to do a simple milling operation, like making new quick change tool holders for the lathe, and I have no capacity to do so without adding a collet chuck, collets, and any of several makeshift (or very expensive used) milling attachments. I don't mean to complain (I am TRULY grateful), just expressing that the 3-in-1 doesn't get the respect it deserves. They do far more than my solo lathe, and in no more space in the shop.

ACS_Super likes this.
  6. Laytonnz

Laytonnz New Zealand Active Member Active Member

City:
    NELSON
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

this was my second lathe and im happy with it, sure i would like bigger and better but it does everything i ask, the mill head is average.. i actually brought it to preform surgery on my 1950's Harrison l5 lathe.
    just a few pics i had uploaded to photobucket of little things ive made with it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pretty poor pictures camera must have been dirty

have made loads of bronze bushs, bronze nuts, various tools, spacers, cut threads ect does all pretty well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tweinke, Dataporter and rdean like this.