New Experiment day. Carbide shaper bit quarter stock??

countryguy

Active User
Registered
Morning everyone. The Son and I want to try a shaper experiment on 1045 on our southbend 7 I was trying to locate some 1/4 x 1/4 2 to 2.5" carbide stock to make our own cutter ends with? Q1- Are we on the right track there? I see Enco has a $50 stock but I do not want to buy that much. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=619-1257&PMPXNO=16719006

Just 2 or 3 2" pieces.

We have a broken 3/8" end mill we were going to try and grind down today.... thanks everyone. CG.

Any HSS should work on a shaper. No need for that high-priced stuff. I've been using a piece of "Williams Cobalt" or some such that I got in a box with other stuff.

Here's a pic of the grind that I use most on my 7" Porter-Cable shaper.

ShaperGrind-001_zps80999577.jpg

The 5 degree top rake is achieved by holding the bit in an armstrong lathe tool-holder, but you could grind it into the tool if you don't have a tool-holder like that. I round over the side/corner with a stone or diamond file. This bit will work for roughing or finishing cuts.

Jim

thanks! Appreciated it. Do you think the HSS would be OK to shave on 1045 steel?

Hi CG I think you will find Carbide is too brittle for shaper work and may snap because of the shock as the tool meets the work.

I may be proved wrong on this though.

Bernard

I think Bernard is right, carbide won't like the interrupted cut of the shaper. I use HSS cutters for everything on my shaper from mild steel to 4140 and have never had an issue.

Shawn

Morning everyone. The Son and I want to try a shaper experiment on 1045 on our southbend 7 I was trying to locate some 1/4 x 1/4 2 to 2.5" carbide stock to make our own cutter ends with? Q1- Are we on the right track there? I see Enco has a $50 stock but I do not want to buy that much. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=619-1257&PMPXNO=16719006

Just 2 or 3 2" pieces.

We have a broken 3/8" end mill we were going to try and grind down today.... thanks everyone. CG.

I have used carbide with good results by taking cuts not exceeding .005". Heavy cuts will usually result in breaking the carbide.

HF sells a set of 1/4" indexable carbide cutters for $29. I have used them in a fly cutter with an interrupted cut and have great results with them, I don't see why they wouldn't work just as well in a shaper.
As soon as I get my shaper back together I'll give them a try, thanks for the idea CG.

Yes, HSS will be fine on 1045. I did some shaper work on A2 without issue--just had to take lighter cuts.

Jim

Back