New early 1900's Cincinnati Shaper Project

Silver Bullet,
You have given me another bright idea, Why not make nice steel gib plates Bolt down and inject Moglice underneath them, That is frequently done in machine tool building, It has good wear & accuracy properties and it would be a simple way out of the problem.

I could do Moglice or bond some turcite to steel gibs. Brass is another idea I have considered. Honestly the friction coefficient of mild steel an cast is not too terrible. I have found a wood lathe bed locally that might be a good doner for the gibs. At least half of them. The seller thinks the bed is 3/8" or 1/2" thick(waiting for conformation), 3" wide and 54" long. I could then pair that with 1/2" of steel. The gib plates for the table are 7/8" so that is about what I am shooting for.

Today's progress, degrease and dissemble. The weasel snot is strong with this one. I have found a few gears that could be remade but I think I should be able to get it running as is. This is assuming that the motor is any good. I ohmed it out and I do not think it has any dead shorts. I need to buy some wire and a plug and make up a whip to connect to the 3 phase.

IMG_20171112_172615651_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171112_172624931_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171112_172632528_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171112_172646899_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171112_172657270_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171112_172709246_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171112_172721075_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171112_172733537_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171112_172741872_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171112_173048978_HDR.jpg

Just tell what you want pics of and i’ll Take them. I have copies of some old manuals I can send you.
I emailed cinn. Shaper and they said they never made the machine I have. They lost their records in a fire around 1920 . Theirs a guy on metal working fun that has one about 50 serial numbers newer than mine. They never made it either.
Thanks scruffy ron
Look at the way the old fella convert it from a Lin shaft machine

Last edited:
I could do Moglice or bond some turcite to steel gibs. Brass is another idea I have considered. Honestly the friction coefficient of mild steel an cast is not too terrible. I have found a wood lathe bed locally that might be a good doner for the gibs. At least half of them. The seller thinks the bed is 3/8" or 1/2" thick(waiting for conformation), 3" wide and 54" long. I could then pair that with 1/2" of steel. The gib plates for the table are 7/8" so that is about what I am shooting for.

Most of the older machine tools that had hold downs for things like this were made of cast iron. There's no reason in the world for not making them out of 1018 cold finish rectangular steel bar. Material needs to be reasonably straight, not necessarily surface plate straight, eyeball straight would work. Run it steel against cast iron. I wouldn't worry about getting fancy with brass or bronze wear pad or Moglice, or any other kind of non-metallic way bearing material. Just keep it well lubricated. Remember, this shaper will never have to work hard for rest of your life or it's life!

Ken

BTW: Nice find! I want a shaper. :cry:

Most of the older machine tools that had hold downs for things like this were made of cast iron. There's no reason in the world for not making them out of 1018 cold finish rectangular steel bar. Material needs to be reasonably straight, not necessarily surface plate straight, eyeball straight would work. Run it steel against cast iron. I wouldn't worry about getting fancy with brass or bronze wear pad or Moglice, or any other kind of non-metallic way bearing material. Just keep it well lubricated. Remember, this shaper will never have to work hard for rest of your life or it's life!

Ken

BTW: Nice find! I want a shaper. :cry:

Thanks for that info! I did end up ordering grey (cast) iron this week. Little more then steel but I need scraping practice anyways :)

Back