New DRO is here. Still in the box after a week.

epj

Registered
Registered
My new DRO Pro 2axis system arrived last Wednesday, about 8:30 PM. Way too late to do anything but open the box. My Thursday-Sunday work schedule is pretty grueling, so nothing happened till yesterday. Got the instructions out to read. Got to go tomorrow and find metric drills and taps. Looked at the pics on line of other folks installations. My mill is a Grizzly 1007. I see some folks have mounted their X axis scale on the front of the table. Apparently did away with the power feed cut off switch. Not going to do that.
Anyway, any suggestions to aid the process?

Mine sat on the floor for five months!

Got to it over Christmas, as I wasn't go ing to rush into it.

2 Axis, and it took me three FULL days, as I'm a perfectionist.

No photo's, but it is bomb proof! Mounted behind the table, as well as on the side. Double sheet metal skins, oil and splash proof, as well as robust. It helps, when you own a sheet metal workshop!

Cheers

Ian

I did one of the Igauging scales on my Z axis. It's worked out pretty well. I need more accuracy on the X and Y. To bad, as the scales would have probably been a whole lot
easier to install. BTW, I had to look at the scale for about two months before I figured out how to mount it. :D

A week, not too bad, but months? I wouldn't have the patience to wait that long. I would have called in sick to work the next day! :rofl:

Will you loose that much travel to where it affects what you machine if you mounted the scale on the backside of the table? I'm assuming you have glass scales? One thought is you could possibly mount the limit switch & stops on the back cide of the table but then you'll have to spend some time locating & tapping holes. Probably won't save you that much room over the scale. And if you do have glass scales, they also make low profile & slim profile scales that are thinner but not sure what the limit in lengths are DRO Pros do sell them but that's extra money you would have to spend with only a slight difference.

I have a similar mill but it's the dovetail column version, I have the scale mounted on the back of the table & prefer it mounted on the back. That's where it would have been mounted at the factory too. But it was easy for me. I ordered my mill without a DRO as I had other plans & since it already had one on it they took it off. Shortly after I received my mill I was offered that same DRO that came off my mill for dirt cheap so I'd be an idiot to pass up on it. The day after I got the DRO I just bolted it back on. Even though I didn't have to drill & tap, it still took me a day to install cause I took my time to indicating everything.

This is right after I installed it. The spacers were used to clear the scale.
Img_6238.jpg

Img_6256.jpg

My DroPros EL400 is still sitting in boxes after several weeks, trying to finish up some other projects so I can take my time with the install.

Back