New Clausing 6913 - Gear box engagement lever fixed!!!!

Great progress.
Thanks for sharing it!
-brino

Decided to tear the apron apart to try and fix an oil leak from the lead screw which was bothering me so i thought I'd throw it out here.
View attachment 245256

Here is where the leak was coming from(not the open cover, rather where the lead screw goes through the worm gear(worm gear is not in this pic)

View attachment 245247

The passage in the bottom of the hole in this pic was full of debris, sludge, tiny metal filings etc. From what it appeared to me its the oil return possible to return the main cavity in the apron.

View attachment 245248
The opposite side has a similar passage.

View attachment 245259

The worm gear and bushing.
View attachment 245252

The bushing has a hole in the bottom for oil to drain into the passage. It was plugged also(yes there is wear on the items in the picture)
View attachment 245253

This was the close to the amount of gap between the worm gear and bushing when it was installed. Approximately .075 give or take.
View attachment 245254

View attachment 245266

The worm gear, bushing, and the apron itself all have wear in them. New parts would just sit against worn edges and wear quicker. My plan it to make a new longer bushing and cut a close taper to match the end of the worm gear, and then cut a tapered shim for the other end and let the worm gear ride on a bushing rather than the apron itself. The bushing I plan to make will be longer so I have some room for adjustment as it wears down the road.

I have a small Sears and roebuck lathe(12x36 never played with it, or cleaned it up yet) Tried to make a bushing when the clausing was torn apart but it needs to be worked over a little and tighten it up(metal gibs, not the plastic ones,mainly) but it just wasnt working very well(and very slow) so I put the clausing back together and I am making the bushing on the clausing, for the clausing. Its going to work(in my head anyway) but I'm going off drawings now rather than have the part in my hand.

I didnt take all the gears and parts out of the apron as they all looked good. They spun well, didnt see any issues other than it needed washed out pretty bad. It hasnt been cleaned in a LOT of years I suspect.

Dont ask why the attachments below this are there. Im not sure what I did to make that happen!!!
On my passage, there is a lip in the casting that one bushing butts up against. On the other end the bushing is held in place with two set screws as shown in the manual.

On my passage, there is a lip in the casting that one bushing butts up against. On the other end the bushing is held in place with two set screws as shown in the manual.

Well mine is different than that. I only have the one bushing and the worm gear rides against the cast iron apron. I like the two bushing idea better. I'm wondering if yours has been bored out since memory makes me think my worm gear was close to the same diameter in the the apron on the tailstock end. Meaning a bushing would not fit in mine on that end due to not enough clearance, hence the reason I went the way I did with the tapered shim, rather than 2 bushings. This is getting fun!!!

Thinking about putting a DRO on this lathe. I have a DRO on my mill and do use it(maybe not to its fullest extent but I do use it) I've never used one on a lathe before. Good idea? Bad idea?

Recommendations on a decent, but not break the bank model? Lathe is a 14 x 48. What length would a guy want to get?
How hard are they to install?
Thank you

You will need to find how far your cross slide and carriage move. I believe you have a 6 inch travel on the cross slide and I believe a 28 to 32 inch travel on the carriage. I have slept since I measured. I think that no matter where you go you will have to buy the next size larger and cut it down. A magnetic like DRO PRO sells can be cut to length.

I have a Trav-A-Dial mounted on the side of the carriage for (X) longitudinal travel. It works great, don’t know how life would be without it! And for (Y) cross I just use the dial, again works for me...Dave.

I really like that idea. I have figured out the cross slide dial so that's not an issue. The carriage in the other hand is what I would like to monitor instead of guess!!! Thank you!!!

That looks perfect for what I would like. I went and priced those. A little more than I want to spend. Not sure what to do now. There have been several time(even as its a hobby) that I would have like that feature. I guess I'll just save up and decide what to do. Thank you.

You can easily invest/spend more money on tooling and such than the basic machine is worth…EASILY!

Back