New Charter Oak 12Z on the way

Congrats on the mill Bill. I had to get the 2 ton shop crane to lift mine. You need the boom extended all the way for the legs to fit around the base, and the 1 ton is too short and only 500# IIRC. I did it all by myself on crappy broken concrete with no accidents or injuries, just take your time. It is a beast being all black and looming over you, if you are going taller on the base it will be even more so.

IMAG0578smiley.jpg

IMAG0578smiley.jpg

Congrats on the mill Bill. I had to get the 2 ton shop crane to lift mine. You need the boom extended all the way for the legs to fit around the base, and the 1 ton is too short and only 500# IIRC. I did it all by myself on crappy broken concrete with no accidents or injuries, just take your time. It is a beast being all black and looming over you, if you are going taller on the base it will be even more so.

View attachment 84503

Yo Dude! I sure hope you're like 5'10" or something, or that puppy is huge! (just kidding on the height...no offense intended) :D

I knew that this thing is bigger than the one I have, but wow. OK, guess I'm going to have to go to the local tool rental place and see if they can deliver a 2T shop hoist next week.

I'm 6'3" and like where the handles are on my little machine (it didn't used to be so little...) and it's sitting almost 40" off the ground on a tool box lower. Hence the request to CO to have them add 4" of height to my stand. I'm getting the one with the wheels on it. I 'thought' the wheels would come in handy if I have to roll the machine around the garage. But after looking at your machine, I think forethought will be required before I give that puppy a push...

So give me your impressions on your mill! How long have you had it? I absolutely love the size of that base and column. And I was told by Paul that they increased the size of the head/column interface, but wow.

Now I can't wait to get mine! :ups:

WR with the head lowered its quite stable.

Coolidge, it may be a while before I get my mill up on it's stand. Gonna have to think this one through as it's 'slightly' larger than I am used to. :))

Coolidge, it may be a while before I get my mill up on it's stand. Gonna have to think this one through as it's 'slightly' larger than I am used to. :))

I used an engine hoist to heave my old Fong Fu 45 onto its stand. Since your stand is on wheels you can probably rig it outside then roll it into your shop. Remember its only 700 pounds and a 1 ton engine hoist can handle 2,000 pounds. Rigging the lathe will involve far more pucker you may walk funny afterwards. Congrats again on the mill it does look a beast.

I used an engine hoist to heave my old Fong Fu 45 onto its stand. Since your stand is on wheels you can probably rig it outside then roll it into your shop. Remember its only 700 pounds and a 1 ton engine hoist can handle 2,000 pounds. Rigging the lathe will involve far more pucker you may walk funny afterwards. Congrats again on the mill it does look a beast.

Funny you should mention "pucker". When I used to road race motorcycles (adrenalin junkie fresh out of the Corps) we used the phrase PuckerFactor to rate various corners at different tracks. I can remember a couple that had everyone walking funny the first time or two through them at speed. Imagine a two wheel drift at near triple-digit speeds in a corner. Margin of error? None.

Funny you should mention "pucker". When I used to road race motorcycles (adrenalin junkie fresh out of the Corps) we used the phrase PuckerFactor to rate various corners at different tracks. I can remember a couple that had everyone walking funny the first time or two through them at speed. Imagine a two wheel drift at near triple-digit speeds in a corner. Margin of error? None.

My brother owned GP Suspension and manufactured suspension components for road race motorcycles. I attended a few races years ago, suffices to say you people are crazy! lol It was always fun watching the novice class, seems like there was always at least one Harley owner flat tracking it, the crotch rockets would come zooming past then about 10 second later here would come the Harley guy all alone. lol

IIRC the 12z is more like 1000# a 1 ton engine hoist can lift 2000 lbs at the shortest arm length, I needed the longest reach of the 2 ton model to get above the machine with straps and reach high enough to get on the stand. Didn't try a 1 ton first, but was advised I would need the 2ton so I got that.

IIRC the 12z is more like 1000# a 1 ton engine hoist can lift 2000 lbs at the shortest arm length, I needed the longest reach of the 2 ton model to get above the machine with straps and reach high enough to get on the stand. Didn't try a 1 ton first, but was advised I would need the 2ton so I got that.

Man, this puppy is going to be tall. Fortunately, my little work shop is in the half-car portion of a three and a half car garage with no rafters/a-frames immediately above it. Someday I may have someone build me a portable 2T gantry out of aluminum that is height adjustable and can be taken apart for moving and storage. Not sure how much something like that would cost though...

Charter Oak's website says 770 on the weight of the 12Z but I understand what you're saying. When I get the mill I will take a look at the how the stand on wheels can be positioned under the hoist. I 'may' be able to cock the stand at an angle to the hoist's legs and get close enough that way.

Or I'll go rent a 2 ton hoist. :)

Back