New Barrel ?

ChuckB

Active User
Registered
This is probably a dumb question, but here goes.. I am new to lathes and know nothing about gun smithing, but like many people I enjoy guns. A number of years ago I purchased a .223 Ruger Ranch Rifle from a friend. It looked to be in good shape, but when I looked in the barrel it had some obvious problems. Apparently it wasn't ever cleaned properly..clumps of rust. I bought it cheap and took it home and cleaned it. I was never able to get the rifling looking like it should though. Took it out and shot it. I was unable to shoot a tight consistant group. My question is, can the barrel be salvaged via lathe work, or does it need to be replaced ?

Hopefully, Bobby Bailey will chime in with professional advice, but from my knowledge of firearms, about the only remedy to your problem is a new barrel. The rifling has been damaged by rust and corrosion and nothing can put the metal back. Once it is cleaned as well as possible, shooting won't hurt it, but you can't expect great groups.

Thanks all for the good info.

Guess I can live with the accuracy.. I don't shoot it on a regular basis. It's really more of a home defense security blanket :)

Looks like that Turbine and I had the same reaction to our Ranch models. Shoot like what comes out of the south end of a north bound cow. I sold mine off for more than I paid for it due to market conditions, so no lost. I was looking at a custom heavy barrel for it before I sold it but a got a sweet deal on a 6mmPPC rifle and never looked back.

If the barrel is pitted there is not much to be done. The rifle is not worth a rebore or a new barrel, and you stated you will live with it.

My security blanket is a 12 gauge pump. As recommended by a local LEO.

Bigger the barrel size, bigger the intimidation.

author=pdentrem link=topic=1256.msg6332#msg6332 date=1299548656
My security blanket is a 12 gauge pump. As recommended by a local LEO.

Bigger the barrel size, bigger the intimidation.

Oh yeah.. I have one of those set up too :)

there's something about that sound of a 12 gage pump chambering a round that tends to make anyone in the wrong change their previous plans and reach a high pucker factor. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck, If it shoots with-in 4" at 100 yd. you most likely won't do any better with a new barrel. The Ruger mini 14's are not known for accuracy. There are things you can do to them that helps, but they are at best plinkers. Like Randy said, They have skinny barrels that heat up fast. On most about 3 shots is all you can get before they wander from the heat and from vibrations often caused by the op rod striking the gas block along with an ill fitting stock.
With the barrel rust I would try a bore brush wrapped in 00 steel wool, apply kroil and brush 20 strokes. That should help if not deep pits. I would not do that in a good barrel but, then you are trying to salvage this one. If that looks like it helps, then a little JB paste will polish the bore some more.
If the bore cleans up decent, the cheapest thing to play with on accuracy is one of those Limb Saver barrel dampers. Start with it about 1"-1.5" off the gas block, shoot, move toward the ft. sight about 1/2", shoot, move some more, repeat till you reach the ft. sight. Some where along the way it should help with the group size. Remember to not let the barrel get hot and if you get 4" or under, you've got a good one. I hate to paint them badly, they are reliable, and fun if accuracy doesn't count. LOL
Bobby
ps I just caught your use for home defense. They are reliable, so that should be a good use.

My Ithaca 37 also will cycle and fire with the trigger held back! And you are right that the sound of the action cycling will have usually the desired effect.

Not putting down bikers, I been riding since 1982.

A few years ago in or about the Ottawa Ontario area, a patrol car with LEO and auxiliary (who are unarmed) pulled over 3 loud bikers. It was just a routine stop but at night. The LEO told the auxiliary to stay by patrol car. The 3 bikers started to get a little aggressive. The auxiliary who had not been noticed by the 3, took hold of the shotgun in the car and racked it. The 3 swiveled and froze. Situation was now under control.

Chuck, If the Limb Saver barrel damper improves things, You could make an adjustable barrel damper threaded for the muzzle. This would be kinda like the Browning BOSS system.
Bobby

Turbo, The BOSS is just a ported adjustable vibration damper. The ports you may or may not want. Though you can make it with out the ports and it is just an adjustable vibration damper. I'm not a real fan of them normally but, that is one of the ways to help a Mini 14 group better.
Bobby

Only one, it was a customer's Browning BAR. IIRC a .270 win. Being ported it had more noise, that and looks are my concerns. They do seem to work if you are more into just picking a load and going with that. With the BOSS you are more adapting the rifle to the load. I prefer to experiment to find the right load for the rifle, adapting the load to the rifle.
Bobby

Back