New Almost Clausing 8520 Owner

That hole eliminates the stress riser.
But it is a bad design, mine broke there too. I had it nickel welded.

After further pondering, what I think I should do is fill the hole and mill two flexures each traversing about an inch positioned at 10 and 2 o'clock relative to the slot and brake lever. That will improve the flex while taking the stress off the repair.

I thought I should put up a picture of my VFD. It's a 1/2hp Fuji (from Wolf Automation):

fullsizeoutput_d1f.jpeg

These small Fujis support external braking resistors. The 1hp Teco that I have on my drill press doesn't.

IMG_1550.JPG

The box is a Bud NBF-32016 with the NBX-32916 internal panel. I had to add some 0.250" spacers to bring the face of the VFD out flush with the front of the box, and I used some neoprene edging around the hole to give it a finished look.

That's looking pretty nice, Briney. I've been contemplating a 3 phase motor and VFD for my 8520, but haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. Thanks for posting about the Teco not supporting braking resistors. I like the idea of having some braking on my mill, so would definitely want to get a VFD that includes that feature.

Back