New acquisition

gerene

Registered
Registered
I received my Taig Micro Lathe II kit yesterday and spent most of today on assembling this little baby.
I just turned a piece of scrapp brass for test purposes and everything seems to be fine and working ok.
Tomorrow I will continue with the other accessories.
Well I am quite happy so far with my new lathe and hope that it will stay that way.
I chose this lathe because I am a amateur clock maker and thought that Taig was a good choice.
Sherline was not an option here in Belgium.

post some pics when you get set up
i have sherline a mill and lathe but thought taigs always looked like a stronger bed.
steve

I have been looking at the Taig which appears to be a nice machine at a reasonable price but lack of threading is a problem for me. I need the capability and do not want to start stocking up on taps and dies if I can otherwise do it directly on the lathe.

post some pics when you get set up

Here is a picture of my setup.

IMG_2582.JPG

The lathe was ordered from Peatol in the UK and delivered with a motor of 1.5 HP running at 1360 rpm (at least that's what the data plate says).
It is mounted on a motor mount also provided by Peatol.
I also have the following accesories: 4-jaw chuck, lathe dog, jacobs chuck, needle bearing centre, compound top slide, milling attachment, fly cutter, back toolpost, ER16 adapter.

This should get me started, I guess.

IMG_2582.JPG

looks nice, 1.5hp wow
you had commented about cutting threads i think
i seen a thread somewhere where they added a lead screw(s) for each pitch they wanted and 1 to 1 ratio to spindle you might search for it if interested.
steve

The lathe was ordered from Peatol in the UK and delivered with a motor of 1.5 HP running at 1360 rpm (at least that's what the data plate says).

Well I did some research on the motor (MY 632-4 Single Phase Capacitor-run) on the net and found that it is only 1/4HP (wich makes more sense).
Here is a link to the specs http://www.tootoo.com/s-ps/my-632-4...acitor-run-high-voltage-motor--p-6636148.html.
Furthermore, since we do have 50Hz in Belgium and it is a 4-pole motor I believe that it would run at 1500 rpm.

Jan

Back