New Acer E-Mill 3VS. Oh, She's Purdy!

frostheave

Active User
Registered
This is the most expensive tool I have ever purchased. So far, I am glad I did! Based on fit and finish alone, I doubt I'll ever buy another Chinese piece of machinery. I'll wait and save the money until I can afford the extra cost. This mill's quality from Taiwan is definitely head and shoulders above.

Here is the bottom line. The mill cost $7,575. Acer ships the mill on an over sized pallet. I paid an extra $375 to have it crated. The shipping cost to barge the mill from Anaheim CA to Fairbanks Alaska was $1,608. Total cost was $9,558. Many thanks to Todd from Nevins Machinery Concepts. He did me right!

Brought The Mill Home:

Acer on Trailer.jpg

My 35 HP tractor did not have the umph to lift the crate. Thankfully, my neighbors Cat skid steer did!

Acer Skidsteer.jpg

The Box in the Shop:

Acer Crate In The Shop.jpg

So Far No Shipping Damage:

Acer No Damage.jpg

Two Layers of Plastic Wrap. Nice!

Acer 2 Layers of Plastic Wrap.jpg

The First Good Look:

Acer The First Look.jpg

Time To Move:

Acer Time To Move.jpg

So, the pallet is too big for an engine hoist. Time to adjust:

Acer Pallet Too Big.jpg

The Mill in it's Permanent Spot:

Acer In Its Permanent Spot.jpg

I rented an Engine Hoist for $25. I should have known it wouldn't handle 2400 Pounds Plus!

Acer Engine Hoist.jpg

Time for Plan B. Start Blocking it Up:

Acer Plan B.jpg

Finally got the Pallet removed:

Acer Pallet Removed.jpg

Time to use Egyptian Pyramid Building Methods:

Acer Egyption Methods.jpg

Half Way There:

Acer Half Way.jpg

The Eagle Has Landed! And, No Damage or Injuries!

Acer Landed.jpg

Now it is time to clean, lubricate, and wire it up. I'll do a post when it is up and running.

I could find very few good pictures of this mill when I was making my buying decision. You would think manufacturers would post pictures to help market their products. With the net, I can't figure out why they don't publish hi-res pictures of their products. Anyway, I will post a lot of pictures of this mill in the future.

Bob

Acer on Trailer.jpg Acer Skidsteer.jpg Acer Crate In The Shop.jpg Acer No Damage.jpg Acer 2 Layers of Plastic Wrap.jpg Acer The First Look.jpg Acer Time To Move.jpg Acer Pallet Too Big.jpg Acer In Its Permanent Spot.jpg Acer Engine Hoist.jpg Acer Plan B.jpg Acer Pallet Removed.jpg Acer Egyption Methods.jpg Acer Half Way.jpg Acer Landed.jpg

Nice looking setup you have there :)

I remember playing "jenga" with my brigeport when I got it home. I wish I had thought of using 2x lumber.... I uses some bricks. So each layer was quite an adventure ...:)

Nice looking setup you have there :)

I remember playing "jenga" with my brigeport when I got it home. I wish I had thought of using 2x lumber.... I uses some bricks. So each layer was quite an adventure ...:)

Jenga, I like it! Yeah, I started by removing 1 piece of 7/16" OSB for each lowering. That went well so I tried removing 2 pieces each time. That worked but the mill tended to slide forward or back on the down stroke. I can see where a full brick could cause some real puckering!

Bob

Wow that looks like a sweet machine! I look forward to seeing more pics of it..

Thanks for the pics. Great to show the steps to move big heavy things- and what to do when things don't go as planned.. I always bring three or four ways to move a machine, since every one is different.

Bernie

Congrats on your new mill! That machine will outlive you! :))

Marcel

Thanks for the replies guys.

One question. Should I bolt the mill down to the concrete floor? It feels REALLY stable right now as is.

Bob

Thanks for the replies guys.

One question. Should I bolt the mill down to the concrete floor? It feels REALLY stable right now as is.

Bob
No need to bolt it down unless you're in a severe seismic zone. I have mine up on levelers because my floor is uneven and having the machine table a level plane can be very helpful with certain setups.

Marcel

No need to bolt it down unless you're in a severe seismic zone. I have mine up on levelers because my floor is uneven and having the machine table a level plane can be very helpful with certain setups.

Marcel

Good point Marcel. We had a magnitude 7.9 earthquake 95 miles south of Fairbanks back in 2002. My place rocked and rolled for a solid 45 seconds. Fairbanks is also past due for a 7.0 or greater earthquake. I wonder how intense an earthquake would have to be to tip over my mill????

Below are a few of pictures from the 2002 earthquake.

40 Million Cubic Yard Landslide Across Black Rapids Glacier:

2002 EQ Landslide.jpg

11' Road Offset where the Denali Fault Crosses the Richardson Highway:

2002 EQ Richardson Offset.jpg

Road Collapse on the way to Tok Alaska:

2002 EQ Road Destruction.jpg

Trans Alaska Oil Pipeline Damage. No Oil Spilled. The Pipeline is Designed for a Magnitude 8.6:

2002 EQ TAPS.jpg

2002 EQ Landslide.jpg 2002 EQ Richardson Offset.jpg 2002 EQ Road Destruction.jpg 2002 EQ TAPS.jpg

That's pretty serious looking earthquake damage... How close are you to any of that big, large movement damage?

Back