New 9x20 arriving this week.

Doc

Registered
Registered
Well, I finally took the plunge and bought a JET 9x20 lathe and it should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. Quite exited but still a bit apprehensive as I am a complete newbie to machining. I've read a lot in the last year or so though, and plan to start with the projects in Harold Hall's workshop series book: Lathework, a Complete Course.
I finally decided on the Jet as it came with two chucks, steadies and other accesories included.
Wish me luck...

Congrats Doc! How exciting! I have heard great things about the Jet machines.

Take pics of install or opening packaging if you can! People love seeing that- and helps future buyers know what to expect.

I look forward to following your progress!

Bernie

sweet. congrats... sounds like you'll have plenty of projects to go through. I went through the same book ,and think it's a good start!

enjoy!

I picked up a new Jet lathe last year and it has been one of the best things I ever did.
A friend had a NIB Jet 9X20 that was 3 years old so I jumped on it too.
I changed out the tool post for a quick change model and also replaced the tool post plate for a 4 bolt version.
Been thinking about putting on a motor that allows variable speed control but that's for another day.
It works plenty good for what I do, which is tinkering around.
You'll be happy.

You will not be sorry you bought the Jet. It's a good machine.

"Billy G"

One other thing, I put DRO's on mine and it has made a world of difference.
I think it was less than 100 bucks and a few hours and well worth it.

Well, I picked it up this afternoon. I got both the stand and the lathe. Both arrived crated and could fit in the loading back of my one ton Toyota double cab quite easily. The shop guy used a mechanical lift to place the lathe in the back and when I got home I could only lift it out with two helpers. The stand crate was easily moved with two people lifting. Once un-crated, I unpacked and checked everything - all in order except that the keys supplied would not unlock the stand drawer. I'll sort that out tomorrow with the store. There are three bolts to be loosened before the lathe can be llifted out of the box. the headstock is fixed to the underside of the crate with a bolt and nut from below, as is the tailstock. The faceplate and 4-jaw chuck is underneath the ways and is also bolted from underneath. I could not figure out how the lathe was to be fixed to the stand - there was no bolt included that would fit in the threaded holes at the head and tailstock ends of the stand. Eventually I found them - they were included in the packet of screws for the stand feet (six bolts resting on six steel pads) and not in the lathe equipment. Duh.. I will continue cleaning and then fitting the lathe to the stand tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

One puzzling thing... There are two plates 180 mm wide and 100 thick with three holes. The middle hole is threaded 8mm. They are listed in the packing list as 'clout x 2". I have no idea as to their function. Any ideas..?

Doc,
My new to me 9X20 will be arriving soon also... So you need to keep us all up to date on your must have immediate purchases. Tooling is a long term investment, but there are always gotta haves "NOW" to get started and I am dieing to know what those are before mine arrives if possible. That way I can get on the web and find some decent pricing and check availability. Nothing is more frustrating than getting a new tool home and being unable to put it to work due to some overlooked widget or fitting that is a required component to even get the machine going. Been there, done that and it is not fun. So please keep us up with the whole delivery and set up experience as it unfolds. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Bob

Well, I finally took the plunge and bought a JET 9x20 lathe and it should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. Quite exited but still a bit apprehensive as I am a complete newbie to machining. I've read a lot in the last year or so though, and plan to start with the projects in Harold Hall's workshop series book: Lathework, a Complete Course.
I finally decided on the Jet as it came with two chucks, steadies and other accesories included.
Wish me luck...
What's up DOC !!!
Where's the pics ???
And where the heck is JO'BURG outside CANADA ??
Now we are really confounded ???
aRM

I'm gonna venture a guess an say Jo'burg is in South Africa. I bet the freight to get a machine delivered there is no small feat either. I would definitely be beating the Ebay bush to try and find a quality tool dealer who is close or offers a decent shipping rate to that area. I sent some Dive equipment to Australia once and that was a real disaster in just about every possible way, so a good supplier is going to be a real asset when you find a really good one to order from. And don't forget to post up lots of pictures and how everything works out when it arrives. If I ordered one and had to wait for it to cross two continents just to get to me I would be a complete nut by the time it all happened. Good luck and keep us all in the loop with the new machine.....

Bob

Back