New 6" chuck with reversible jaws (finally)

Mutt

Registered
Registered
Hey y'all, I bought a new Griz 4003 in 1999. As with all Chinese lathes, tolerences were out of the ball park, but to be expected. But I was sorta ticked, that the runout on the jaws was horrific (like .010 or more) & first time I had to change out the jaws, I surely wished the chuck would have had reversible jaws. So fast forward 18 years. I bought a new chuck off eBay, $150 including shipping. I didn't have much high hopes except for the fact that it did have reversible jaws !!!IMG_5427.JPG

So I removed my old chuck and backing plate, and went to installed the new D1-4 adapter,
so I could machine the shoulder for the new chuck body. Took way more time than I expected
only because it didn't pay much attention to the "lines" grooved into the pins.
I screwed them all the way in, then had to figure out why the cams wouldn't work > I looked at the
original chuck and of course those lines were witness lines.
Live and learn !!!!! IMG_5429.JPG
Ok, so I got it all installed and was checking everything out. I tightened the jaws all the way tight,
to see how small of a part it would hold when I noticed the jaws of the chuck
didn't close all the way ???!!! They only touch at the VERY TIP. But when I installed a piece
of rod, so I could see what kinda runout I ended up with, the jaws close tight against the rod,
all the way down? Am I in the Twilight Zone or ????

Here are the jaws , closed tight. About 1/8" gap on one, 3/32" on the next and
the last one is sorta tapered from nothing to 3/32" What gives?
IMG_5430.JPG

First thing I would do is take the jaws off and make sure they don't have any chips/burrs messing with the jaws. See how it closes with the jaws off.

wreck, do ya think these jaws might be s0ome sort of "industry standard" Can I buy sets of jaws?

Ebel, I will check the closing with no jaws

Wreck, I'll have a look at that site as well

I checked the master jaws without the reversible jaws installed. Same thing, but on a smaller scale., Still atleast 1/16" at the ends closest to the headstockIMG_5499.JPG
IMG_5500.JPG
IMG_5501.JPG

Is it a scroll type chuck? If it is, is it possible the Master Jaw locations may have been switched?

Chris

yeah, but I am more inclined to think that Kung Fu really didn't care about the inner angles on the jaws when he ground them. If I can find my protractor, I'll measure all side side angles, I'm pretty sure none of them will be the same as the other. I looked at both websites, couldn't find any 6" American Standard hard jaws. The second place had some for the 8" chucks, for $30 or so a set. I'd be happy to pay that for a set of jaws that were machined right (in the US as well)

Back