New 12z Owner Here

Ah yes, the waiting game. A confusing mix of excitement and frustration. Welcome to the club!

Don't forget to put up a pic of the stand you built, we all like pictures.
Yeah definetly a confusing muxture of excitement frustration anxiety etc etc.
Here in a couple hours i can put up some pictures it is not done yet though ill work on finishing it this weekend.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

That stand height looks like it could be fine, maybe 8 inches higher than my old stand which was too low for me and I'm 5'7". Design wise the 12z weighs a 1/2 ton and those leveling pads are way out to the sides, could be a bit springy but it looks like you used pretty thick tubing. My Kubota tractor front end loader lifted my G4003G lathe up onto its stand without any problem, but it couldn't budge the 12z more than 3 inches off the pallet its that heavy.

Looks robust. :)
Thanks. The table of the stand is built from 2"x3" 11 gauge rectangle tubing. The legs and lower frame are 2" 11 gauge square tubing. Caster plates are made from 1/4" plate and the mounts for the leveling feet are made from 4" long sections of 2" square tubing ( scrap from the legs) it was cut at an angle length wise and 1/4 plate was welded to the bottom.
Initially I was going to copy charter oaks design for the leveling feet. But decided to take a different approach.
Charter oaks design places all of the load on the welded nut inside the down tubes something that is not serviceable. This design I came up with places the load on the leveling foot and lower nut. All serviceable parts.

Btw bill,
11/10/15 happy birthday.

Yea, the 'spec sheet brigade' here will tell you the mill weighs less than 800 lbs., but they've not even touched one. Shipping weight on mine with the stand strapped to the top was around 1200 lbs. And I could press the stand over my head no problem, even for an Old Guy. ;)

You've seen my mill. It ain't no slouch.

For your veiwing pleasure and just a tad bit of gloat this is my office. a360fffe2f5dbc4749b581b6f3439665.jpg

Yea, yea... First you have to tell me about this, and then you post pics? Thanks dude. ;)

:you suck:

BTW, didn't tell you I twisted wrenches for a few years. All the ASE certs, and Master level on MB and LR. Didn't bother with the Porsche certs as I hated working on those little things with these big paws... :(

Back