New 12x36 Craftex 707

Leonard

Registered
Registered
Just got my new lathe up and running. It's a lot different than my combination machine I've been running for the past couple of years. I can't seem to figure out how to ingage the feeding or threading or cross feed. The owners manual isn't much help with 3 different lathe pics to choose from followed by information that doesn't seem to work. I can't get the lead screw or feed rod to turn. I've numbered the handles/drums like they have in the manual. #5 and#6 don't want to move. Can anybody help this noob. I'm sure it's just a case of idiot at the controls.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I've not had anything so fancy ,but I think#21 changes from the lead screw top to the feed rod bottom. #3 sets feed motion forward or reverse. I think 4-5-6 are the rate of feed or threads per inch. I'am likely wrong but it is the best I can do. Good luck.

I've not had anything so fancy ,but I think#21 changes from the lead screw top to the feed rod bottom. #3 sets feed motion forward or reverse. I think 4-5-6 are the rate of feed or threads per inch. I'am likely wrong but it is the best I can do. Good luck.
You may vary well be right, however I tried it and still nothing. I hope it's not the machine. Thanks

3 reverses the feed screw. The four knobs on the bottom gearbox are all used together for different threads and feeds. You will need the manual to get it correct, and you will also likely need to change the gear train inside the left end cover to get all the threading combinations.

My lathe is quite different, but it has the same types of controls. It is difficult to turn the lower knobs on my lathe as well, but they do move. Sometimes you need to turn the chuck a bit to get the gears to line up so they can engage.

Nearly everything is shown on the plates on the machine. Lever 3 does select which direction the feeds go. The lever dead center on the apron determines whether cross feed or longitudinal feed is selected.
For the feed rate and the thread pitches refer to the plates on the left in your second picture. For instance, for 8 threads per inch you would turn knob 6 to 'A', knob 5 to '2', knob 4 to 'M' and knob 21 to 'I'.
Similarly if you want to select a particular feed rate select it from the upper left chart. For instance, if you change knob 4 to point to 'S', you end up with a longitudinal feed of .005 inch per rev or a cross feed of 0.001 inch per rev.
Note that the gears have to be set up as shown on the extreme left of those charts.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Check the gear train under the left side of the machine. Could be the gears are not meshing and need to be adjusted.

Tom S.

Hey there gentlemen. Just wanted to say thanks for all help and suggestions. I managed to get the thread and feed engaged today. I finally got some garage time. Now my blood pressure can go back to normal, knowing I have a machine that isn't a dud. Some times a guy just has to read the dam plates on the machine as Steve pointed out. Lol.

Back