NEVER the right tool!

I think validating the validation is a symptom of the addiction and you saw the cause and cure instantaneously on reading the comment. You walk by the metal rack and see a piece of 12" X 12" X .750" HSS and think,,,,,"I need a bigger band saw or a bigger welder.":grin: Do they have meetings for this addiction?

Yes, it's called The Hobby Machinist :grin:

I'm about to turn 56, and I inherited all of my Dad's tools, and he was a mechanic as a kid and continued to do all of his own auto work and carpentry until he died. On top of all my own tools, I still have to buy more. My wife slowly learned the value of having the right tool for the job, and she doesn't even question it anymore. :)

edit: Mini rant here. And all his old Craftsman tools are high quality and still going strong while most of the craftsman tools I bought are barely worth using. :mad:
You're not kidding! I just bought three craftsmen 1/2" teardrop ratchets off of ebay, for $15. My plan was to return them for new ones. When they came, they were the super old ones that are beefy and the the little oiler on the top. Now I'm switching to "plan B" I want to try and fix them since you can't buy them anymore with this quality.

I think validating the validation is a symptom of the addiction and you saw the cause and cure instantaneously on reading the comment. You walk by the metal rack and see a piece of 12" X 12" X .750" HSS and think,,,,,"I need a bigger band saw or a bigger welder.":grin: Do they have meetings for this addiction?
Probably but meetings are for quitters, I'm no quitter!

Certified toolaholic here... and I also buy hardware by the box...

If I need an odd tool for 'just one job', I'll borrow it if I can... the second time I need it, I'll buy it... even if its 10 years later.

Tools are an investment... and I have discovered that the tool that you said for years that you had no use for ends up being used a lot once you acquire one... if you have it, you will find uses for it.
I hate to borrow tools . I have borrowed
Many tools in my early years . It seams like every time I borrowed a tool from someone it would brake
I would go and buy a new one for the prison I borrowed the tool from . I would give that new tool to them and I would keep the broken one .
After about five or six times I stopped borrowing tools .

I would like to point out three pictures.

Amateur gun smith, USA
Professional gun smith, USA
Professional gun smith, Pakistan

I've seen the Pakistani weapons in action. I'm sorry to say they appear to work just fine.
That is so very true! A “Master” can make with bare necessities! A person with piles of toys in their garage could just be all for show and not a master of anything!

I'm pushing 50. I've been a tinkerer, a mechanic, a machinist, wood worker and handyman all of my life. As an educated guess, I probably have between 50 and 60 thousand dollars worth of equipment and tooling for just about everything you could think of. Why is it that every time I try and do a project I never have what I need? :confused: Is it me? Who else suffers from this affliction?
I have the opposite problem. I have the tools and the materials but I can never decide on a project.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I borrowed sawhorses from a friend. Eleven years later he wanted them back. What kind of friend is that? I thought possession was 90% of, well you know. This resulted in my having to purchase some. We still do have lunch weekly if it is his turn to pay.

Back