Needing to tool up, looking at comparisons.

gasmith

Registered
Registered
Hi guys, as the title says, Im in the first stages of tooling up for a future business endeavor (starting a new full service gunsmith shop doing professional fabrication). Im planning on buying more machine than I currently need and buying machines that will last as long as I want them to. This being said, Im looking at buying American made if possible (mostly just steering clear of Chinese). I was wondering if you guys had any input on what kind of lathe you prefer when comparing Standard Modern, South Bend, and Acer lathes? Looking at machines that are around 40" between centers or so. Also, is there anyone manufacturing milling machines that compare with the quality of a good Bridgeport? I realize a used Bridgeport is a good option but Im looking at other options as well. Thanks for your input.

Kinda seems like you already know what you're looking for. I did the same you back in January. I'm pretty sure the new south bend are made by grizzly and not in America I maybe wrong. I did some horse trading for a 13x40 grizzly a while back couldn't be happier. I'd love to have a Logan or something but it wasn't in the cards so meh.... are you gonna be turning your barrels on centers? You gonna do everything in a 4 jaw and outboard spider? I've a kinda cheap vertical mill and I'm currently keeping my eyes peeled for a Bridgeport.

Welcome to the forum. We have a sub forum "Gun smithing and Fire arms".

You might try posting your questions there for better coverage.

David

So nobody knows how these brands stack up against each other?

Kinda seems like you already know what you're looking for. I did the same you back in January. I'm pretty sure the new south bend are made by grizzly and not in America I maybe wrong. I did some horse trading for a 13x40 grizzly a while back couldn't be happier. I'd love to have a Logan or something but it wasn't in the cards so meh.... are you gonna be turning your barrels on centers? You gonna do everything in a 4 jaw and outboard spider? I've a kinda cheap vertical mill and I'm currently keeping my eyes peeled for a Bridgeport.

After a little reading over on Practical Machinist, I discovered that newer South Bends are a hodgepoge of a bunch of things (but decent and made in Taiwan, like Acer). However, Im still looking for insight in how they stack up against others like Acer (like I learned on) or Standard Modern. Not even sure what Logan is. Im just looking for something that will last a long time and hold up to a lot of use. The last thing I need is a lathe that "kinda" works when Im doing work for customers.

Basically, there are no new North American lathes except the Standard Modern. Though Taiwanese and even some Chinese made lathes are of reasonably high quality. Check out http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1440gt/
Might be what your looking for...

The only way someone may tell you how different machines perform is by having used them.
I currently use 4 different brands of lathes, a Romi/Bridgeport 15 X 40 of late 1990's vintage, these are very robust machines that are well made. A hybrid manual/CNC lathe that may be operated as a manual machine or under CNC control, they are very easy to use either way so they make an excellent tool for one off work and also light production. There are always a few used ones for sale https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Bridgeport+EZ+Path+CNC+Lathe

A Tos Trens 24 X 100 manual engine lathe, I believe that they make a 15 X 40 machine, these are well made tools from Slovokia.

An old Warner & Swasey #5 turret lathe, W & S has a very well regarded reputation but haven't made machines in 40 years.

Also an old Hardinge 5C spindle turret lathe, Hardinge needs no explanation as far as quality and performance are concerned.

As for mills Bridgeport knee mills are excellent light duty machines, Trak has a nice line of hybrid bed mills, CNC control with handles, we just got a new Trak up and running and it appears to be a very nicely made machine, quiet and powerful.
Bridgeport also made a bunch of knee mills which are hybrid, CNC functionality along with handles for manual operations called an EZ Trak

Cost will be the major factor in your choices.

That actually looks like a decent machine. Im gonna do some looking on that.
Yeah I've been shopping for a "new" lathe for a couple of years (I'm in no rush) I narrowed it down to the PM 1440 GT if I get a new new lathe or a excellent condition used Clausing Colchester, Monarch or Hardinge.

Yeah I've been shopping for a "new" lathe for a couple of years (I'm in no rush) I narrowed it down to the PM 1440 GT if I get a new new lathe or a excellent condition used Clausing Colchester, Monarch or Hardinge.
It seems Taiwan is the way to go now. This seems to have the whole package.

Back