Needed a part for a winch handle

HSS

Active User
Registered
I have two winches that use about the same handles except one handle is a little longer than the other. The longer handle goes on my SpitzLift hoist that I use to load compressors into my van. The other handle fits my GenieLift and we use that for setting equipment and compressors on the rack. The handles have a quick release latch that enables a person to remove the handle to get it out of the way. One of the quick release latches got lost, so we have been swapping the handles between the two winches. I told my son we need to find another latch and he told me that if he had my machining equipment, he would just make another one. Well now, I says, Ohhhh Yeahhhh.

This is the handle with original latch installed. The one on the right is the one I made. The body is brass, the plunger is O1 tool steel, and the
knob is unknownium steel. The only thing I couldn't make is the spring inside. Had to go to
Lowes for it because I didn't know how to make a spring.

photo 2.JPG photo 4.JPG photo.JPG

Last edited:
What I charge for my labor, I figure I have $325 tied up in that thing not counting the material. LOL

Patrick

That sounds like the economics of some of my projects.

Isn't it amazing how time flies, when you're having fun. I haven't had much time to get out to my shop lately, and when I do get out there I can't think of anything I want to start. My projects are usually things I need to repair or need to make for work. Still, I enjoyed making that little latch.

Patrick

If I counted and added up the hours I spend on things some I do the price would be astronomical. Nice job on the handle.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I've never tried to make anything that small. Oh, I've turned small things, but not that had to operate like that thing does. It's just a captive spring plunger but.......anyway thanks.

Patrick

What I charge for my labor, I figure I have $325 tied up in that thing not counting the material. LOL

Patrick

But the experience is priceless.

Back