Need ½” x 24 tpi jam nuts

Tony, I have measureed the thread with a mic and thread gage. It's definitly 1/2" x 24 tpi...............
Chuck

Chuck,

I have a large tool box full of taps and dies that I bought from a guy who's father had retired after working many years (ago) at a navy ship yard. That box of goodies contained a not so common fine thread tap that fits a KO Lee grinder spindle I am trying to restore so there might be one in the 1/2" - 24 size. I will pull it out and take a look this weekend.

Benny

I have acquired a Delta Homecraft Benchgrinding/buffing arbor I'm cleaning up to use. It has 1/2” x 24 tpithreads. The arbor came with only 1 ea. RH and LH nuts. I havesearched Fastenall, but they don't list them. Original part #s areSBG-8 for RH and SBG-9 for left hand.
Anyone have a source for spares? Ormaybe a tap to make them. I can thread on my mini-lathe but wouldprefer to buy ready made.

Chuck

Maybe I am missing something, but if you have a left hand nut and a right hand nut, why do you need jam nuts? I have several grinders and grinding arbors and none of them are double nutted. Never have had a problem with the wheels coming loose.

Greg

Well Greg, I would rather error on the side of caution. I'll probably go with what I have.

Chuck

You'll be fine without the jam nuts. If you are really worried, Permatex used to make a plastic type of locking compound that is seen on some large volume OEM fasteners as a sprayed Nylok Patch. It effectively makes any screw or nut into a self locking fastener that is easily removable, yet resists vibration. I'm sure it is still made, or Loctite has an equivalent. I may still have a small vial of it if you can't locate some.

Back