Need To Purchase A 9/16" -3c Collet.

spitfire

Registered
Registered
Hi all, I am rebuilding one of my Black Diamond Drill Grinders for which I need a new or used 9/16" (ID) - 3C collet. The function of this collet is to "hold & clamp" the smaller collets for the different size drills which one sharpens.

The one I have is worn beyond use (the draw thread is kaput) and I know they were made at one time or another. So, a new or used source would be appreciated.

Also, and seperate from this question, I have about 3 pounds of "zinc" ingots and pieces of plate stock which need a "home". The plate stock was a sacrifical anod left over from my sail boat days. Free for the snail mail postage which will probably cost you three bucks or so for a small flat rate box.

E-mails are difficult for me to access at the present time but I can read replys to this post. Also, you can call me if you care to at (636)797-4203.

Thank you, Karl J. Schmitt of Hillsboro, MO

There is a place that sells DB parts and collets too. Google "Black Diamond Grinder parts". Rush
Sales. Be prepared , the parts are high!

Last edited:
If it is a standard 3c collet, Travers Tool, Little Machine Shop, Tools 4 Cheap, Shars, and Hardinge as well as most of the other suppliers all sell 3c collets. Hardinge only if you want the best and most expensive.

If it is a standard 3c collet, Travers Tool, Little Machine Shop, Tools 4 Cheap, Shars, and Hardinge as well as most of the other suppliers all sell 3c collets. Hardinge only if you want the best and most expensive.
Hi and thank you for your reply. A 9/16" - 3C collet is not a standard so to speak. All that I have found stop at 1/2" although I have found past adverts for a size 9/16".

I will call the places you suggest and just perhaps I will luck out this time.

Thank you for your reply. Karl Schmitt

There is a place that sells DB parts and collets too. Google "Black Diamond Grinder parts". Rush
Sales. Be prepared , the parts are high!
Hi and thank you for your reply. Yes, I am aware of Rush Sales and the last time I checked the price for a simple master (9/16") collet was about $150. Seemed a bit high but by todays labor costs, perhaps not so.

So, I am looking for a less expensive source, perhaps a "used one".

Thank you, Karl Schmitt

Karl, not being all that familiar with 3c, only 5c. I did some checking. 9/16 is larger than most offer. Hardinge has them but lists them as a step collet so hopefully that would allow you to use it with your existing collets. $97.00 though....yikes!

Karl, I have 3 BD grinders , I'll look to see if I have a spare 9/16ths. Do you have any extra "sub-collets" for the drills? I have a few spares and need a few to fill out my collection. I just marvel at the BD grinders, I go as small as a #52 sub-collet and thought to myself "No way this works" but i did it anyway. A #52 is tiny and the rock on my grinder has grit nearly that large. It was sharpened anyway. Awesome machine! No excuse for dull drills in my shop!

You could get a machinable collet and make it 9/16”. Or, make the whole collet, nice little HM project…Dave.

I thought my 3c lathe collets only went to 1/2" that is as big as I see listed at any rate.

Back