Need to grind my HSS tools... which grinder?

We were making knives, so we have a couple of the decent belt grinders. Shop used, I see them on Craig's List all the time, mostly use for wood work.

You can also build your own belt grinder. If you check out the knife/blade forums there is a few ways of making them. My Dad started making the bolt together version with a 1 1/2 hp motor so we could use the larger belts and have more power. We are changing it up now, need to build a rest for HSS grinding. The advantage to building one is the cost, the power and you can make a rest that actually works.

Its a pain, but it sure beats all the cheap Asian versions made out of cast pot metal. You can pick up cheap motors used that run smooth. You can make your own with a band saw and a drill press or less. I think my Dad cut all the metal using a porta band, so it can be done with minimal tools.

But a used horizontal band saw with cooling is so nice, got one at a pawn shop for $130 I think. It was a 3 speed belt type on a custom stand, no brand name on it. Baldor motor, so it may be a decent brand, it works good. Check those pawn shops or used listings,

I love my old Craftsman grinder. Here's a nice one on Ebay. Mine is from the 50's. You shut off the motor and the wheels are still spinning 10 minutes later. :) They are heavy as heck though.

I love my old Craftsman grinder. Here's a nice one on Ebay. Mine is from the 50's. You shut off the motor and the wheels are still spinning 10 minutes later. :) They are heavy as heck though.
I would buy that in a heartbeat if it could pick it up locally, shipping that thing will cost more than the grinder itself.

I would buy that in a heartbeat if it could pick it up locally, shipping that thing will cost more than the grinder itself.

Didn't see you were up North. Well, there's bound to be some up there for sale. They were very popular grinders.

Back