Need to grind my HSS tools... which grinder?

The_Apprentice

Registered
Registered
So, already have my first piece of HSS for my mini-lathe, and would like to dive into things. Only problem is I need a grinder to shape them.

Since I'm just a home-hobbyist, I'm wondering what suggestions I have that are decent for a non-industrial budget here and won't break the bank.

I am debating on driving down to the local Lowes and picking up this:

https://www.lowes.ca/grinders/king-...c-690l_g1589496.html?searchTerm=bench-grinder

Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
That grinder should be fine. It won't be very powerful but if its just for grinding tool bits you'll have no problems. The wheels might be little more than concrete though. Try them, you may want to replace them with quality ones, makes a HUGE difference.

Greg

Thanks Greg. I may just end up grabbing this then tomorrow. Wasn't sure if I was missing something obvious, but since King also sells mini-lathes, I'm sure it can't be too bad.

I think Lowes has the arbor size wrong at 0.5", as the manufacture clearly stats theirs is 5/8"

Something else interesting, is Lowes is selling this at about half the price as getting this directly from the manufacturer. Hmmm......

And yes, I have hard that the wheels on these things are usually cheap... at least they give both a 60 grit and a 120 though.

After that, my next task will be to purchase a decent polisher/buffer for my little jewelry projects I plan to experiment with.

Have you checked Kijiji in your area? There is a 3/4HP Powerfist 8" grinder in Hamilton, brand new in the box, for $90.00. 8" wheels will be easier to find, are wider and sometimes cheaper than 6" wheels.

If I was a new guy today and I decided I was going to use a bench grinder for tool grinding, I would consider it a long-term investment that I could use to grind tools for any lathe I end up with. I would choose an 8" grinder with at least 1HP and I would use CBN wheels that are intended to grind HSS and won't explode or need dressing. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about: https://woodturnerswonders.com/coll...with-one-radius-edge-and-one-4-in-1-cbn-wheel

Yeah, considerably more than the average grinder but you'll be grinding on those same wheels 20 years from now. I know you don't realize it yet but your lathe tools will determine how well your lathe works for you. You may have chosen a small lathe but it can cut like a much larger one with the right tool. Thing is, you have to grind it and that starts with a good grinder.

Of course, I don't know where you're at with this machining thing and you may just want to dabble with tool grinding. If that is so, then consider that larger grinder I suggested. A more powerful grinder will cut faster and easier and you won't have to push the tool or wheel as hard to get results.

I agree with mikey get at least 1 hp with 8" wheels you'll have it forever . You won't regret the extra hp and cost especially when buffing.
I bought a a small grinder from Princess Auto 6" put a buffer on it and it stalled immediately it's a piece of junk I then put a diamond wheel on for sharpening carbide which works fine.

I have that King grinder in your first post, it will do the job of grinding cutting tools but don't expect quality from that machine, the motor is way out of balance and vibrates a lot ,the tool rests are flimsy and loses adjustment as soon as you put pressure on them, the plastic shields are held with cheap clamps and keep falling off , but in that price range all these grinders (power fist , King, Mastercraft, Ryobi) will most likely perform the same.
I highly recommend a Diamond dresser for grinding wheels, it is a must IMO.http://www.busybeetools.com/products/diamond-dresser-with-handle.html
If I had to buy a grinder today, I would look for the older ones with solid cast iron tool rests and silky smooth motors, I see them often on kijiji for under $70. and of course 8" is better than 6" but more expensive, although for our home use , 6" will do.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't touch that grinder, it's just a cheap piece of chinese crap. I have made enough mistakes making purchases like that and then not being happy with how they worked, or actually didn't. Take your time on this purchase, do your homework, and shop around for a better quality used one.

Personally I wouldn't touch that grinder, it's just a cheap piece of chinese crap. I have made enough mistakes making purchases like that and then not being happy with how they worked, or actually didn't. Take your time on this purchase, do your homework, and shop around for a better quality used one.

Greg, I once ground a lathe tool on one of those old monster 12" Baldor pedestal grinders, the kind that takes an engine hoist to lift. It was owned by an old machinist who has since passed on but it literally ate the steel on that bit. I gained a healthy appreciation for horsepower from that experience and you're right - homework pays.

Greg, I once ground a lathe tool on one of those old monster 12" Baldor pedestal grinders, the kind that takes an engine hoist to lift. It was owned by an old machinist who has since passed on but it literally ate the steel on that bit. I gained a healthy appreciation for horsepower from that experience and you're right - homework pays.
I'm not saying get the biggest and the baddest, lol, just get a good quality tool. One that is solid, spools up quickly, runs true with little or no vibration, has torque in reserve, good tool rest, etc.

Makita GB 602 come ready with white stone for HSS and green stone for carbide.
It is much more silent than others around and there enought power to grind lathe tools

Back