Need to cut 316 SS threaded rod

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi everyone,
I got some high strength 316 SS threaded rod, 6' long , which I need to cut into 18" long pieces.
The rod is 1/2" - 13tpi , and I need to cut it clean so I can put a nut at one end.
My lathe is not long enough, so can I cut it with a hack saw, or my HF horizontal band saw?
if left with any burrs, can I just use a regular grinding wheel on my 8" delta bench grinder?
Thank You in advance for any help.
Jon

The horizontal band saw would be perfect, slowest speed setting. Then dress up the end on the grinder. You had it all figured out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a small tip when cutting threaded rod. If you cut is on the critical side, when you determine where you need to cut (using the horiz bandsaw), rotate the rod so the blade teeth will land in the root of the thread, that way the blade won't tend to kick to one side if starting on a crest. But if you have a fine enough blade it may not really matter.

Jon, I would first thread a nut on the rod and then cut to size, clean up the ends on the bench grinder and lightly chamfer the ends of the rods. Remove the nut to rerun the threads , quick clean up with wire wheel on grinder.

Sandia

Jon, I would first thread a nut on the rod and then cut to size, clean up the ends on the bench grinder and lightly chamfer the ends of the rods. Remove the nut to rerun the threads , quick clean up with wire wheel on grinder.

Sandia
:thumbsup2: This is what I do. Works well

Hi Sandia,
Just to be clear that I understand your advice, I am only using one end for a nut. So If I cut in half and use the opposite ends that are untouched, would I still put a nut on before I cut.
The end with no nut is getting epoxied in a drilled hole in sill plate and footing for new workshed. As long as I can get a clean cut, maybe some light oil when cutting.
My table is on the saw set up vertically, I assume it would be safer and cleaner if I do not free hand it and set the saw horizontally and use the vice.
Thank You in advance ,
jon

Once you cut them to size on the bandsaw, why not chuck up the 18" pieces in your lathe to face and chamfer each cut end? Pad your jaws with scrap aluminum to protect the threads.

The horizontal band saw would be perfect, slowest speed setting. Then dress up the end on the grinder. You had it all figured out
Thanks Jim,
will some scrap wood protect the threads from the vice on the horizontal bandsaw?
Thanks,
Jon

Thanks Jim,
will some scrap wood protect the threads from the vice on the horizontal bandsaw?
Thanks,
Jon

Yes, that should work fine. And don't forget Darkzero's advice about starting the cut in the thread root.

Back