Need thoughts

GK1918

Active User
Registered
People always come to me after going everywhere else. I play 2nd fiddle so im use to it. So
there's alot of brains on this site. Need ideas. Guy comes yesterday (in trouble) got a buggered up nut need a tap thread chaser etc. NO; and also shaft threads. Take a look, It comes to
about 2" maj dia, 10TPI left hand. I say well gone ta take me a little time. Have to put on a 4
jaw dial the nut in, boring bar, set up, (meanwhile the furnace is running) $$ He decides to
have a new nut made, Ok being a freind of mine I say make sure to bring the damaged nut back
here. The plan is I thread the old nut then cut the nut in half for a die to C clamp on his shaft
on the good thread area then back out of the damaged thread end. Now should I whiz 90* slots
(like a real die) need to know if more slots are better. He cant bring me the shaft its a sawmill
like 15' long and weeks to get out, and my biggest lathe only has 1 1/2 bore in the headstock
or would be A fast $$. So are there any rules on how many slices to make on my half nut
die idea? Boy would I like a Mill. Small town we all help each other when stuck. Recap two
inch Maj. dia 10 TPI left hand thread /cut in half how many slits for a DYI die of this size?
looked at my 2" pipe die and has 4 flutes. sam

Sam

The harder the job the faster the trickle down effect and the more it gets past off to the second fiddle man.

You are going to need the nut to be hardened in order for it to work as a die. If it is buggered already, chances are it was softer than the shaft. So you may need to make up two of those nuts, and one will need to a tool steel.

As for slots, not sure, four or five is what comes to mind. Need the teeth long enough to have strength, but want some cutting action.

Walter

I know this answer wont solve this problem rigt now But what you need in your tool kit is a thread restoration file!!!
these files are about 5/8" sq and about 10 " long and have teeth runing along the length of the file at diferent TPI.
Each file having 8 diferent threads. mine have saved my ass more times than I care to think about
I know Chronos ltd Uk stock them.
Mine ( UNC and METRIC ) are on the boat at the moment but next time i go I will take a photo and post it.

First off, I have to wonder if whoever made the new nut has a 2-10 LH plug gage. Is this a UN thread, or acme, etc?

OK, on the single-shot die. Nut is soft, so don't expect much. Don't saw in half. Cut through one side only. Make 6 slots evenly spaced with hacksaw, centered on the saw cut. Take a die grinder or equivalent and give a little relief behind what will be the cutting edge, remembering that it is LH. If possible, get some case hardening powder, possibly from a welders supply (around here they usually carry it) and harden the new "teeth". Be careful not to melt off the edges, that will be easy. Now spread the "die" by jamming a screwdriver into the slot and run it up above the damaged area. Oil the work and run it back down the shaft. Now you can use a C clamp to provide cutting pressure. It may take a few passes.

Brian, the thread file is a good idea. I have a couple....somewhere. :)

OH thanks, I no soner wrote this, he calls me just now and i guess he is done. Whew

Back