Need Suggestions On Cutting Brass

JW714

Active User
Registered
Hi all, I need to cut thin discs 1/2"-3/8", from 6 1/2" dia. 360 brass rod. The problem is the rod is short so not able to hold in my horizontal bandsaw. Any suggestions? Thank You John

Hi John,

You could drill and tap a blind hole(s) in it and then bolt it to something bigger that you can grab in the band-saw vise.
Of course, that only works if you have enough depth in that brass stock to get a good bolt grip and not put holes into the discs.......

-brino

Thanks brino but I need the discs without hole in center. Plus 6 1/2' dia. is pricey, and I would like to get as many discs as I can from the rod. JW

I have done this by capturing the material in channel or angle iron as a vise jaw extension and cutting right through everything. On 6 1/2 dia, I would use maybe 4 inch channel. You would have to use some kind of a block on the other side of the vice to keep the movable jaw square.

It's time to get creative.;)

Have you considered brass plate stock? Thin stock is hard to hold as you wrote. If you already have the stock might try a angle plate clamped in the saw's vise and the stock C-clamped against the plate. You will have to stay with it as not to cut your clamp in to. When the blade cuts down near the clamp it is time to rotate the rod and finish cutting it through.

Good luck

Thank You for the replies! I have in the past used the creative channel method in the bandsaw LOL. It worked. I wanted to ask about any other methods that may be viable. Is waterjet cutting expensive?

Water jet is one of the more expensive cutting methods, but not unreasonable. The thickness might be an issue, you would have to check with your local shop.

If you have not already purchased the material, having the vendor cut it to size might be the best option.

Another thought just occurred to me, you could epoxy (JB Weld?) the piece to another piece of stock to make it ''longer''

Thanks again, I'm going to use the channels to extend the jaws on my bandsaw.

If you don't already have the stock, find out pricing on watercut discs from flat plate.

Back