Need suggestions for refinishing vice jaws on small bench vice

CODEMAN

Active User
Registered
Just got a nice little bench vice from an antique store…perfect for holding small stuff while I tap, drill, file etc. BUT of course the jaws were abused and are not usable in their current condition. I have an X2 mill and thought I might venture into milling the faces and top of the vise, but don't' know if the X2 can handle steel like that.

Suggestions?

Steve

20140901_130229.jpg 20140901_130253.jpg 2014-09-01 13.01.46.jpg

Just got a nice little bench vice from an antique store…perfect for holding small stuff while I tap, drill, file etc. BUT of course the jaws were abused and are not usable in their current condition. I have an X2 mill and thought I might venture into milling the faces and top of the vise, but don't' know if the X2 can handle steel like that.

Suggestions?

Steve

Nice find. Poor thing looks abused from years of use. Looking at the photos I would think it is soft steel. Do the file test, if a file can cut or nick it than it is soft. Can you get it apart to machine each half?

Yes, it will come apart. Did the file test and it looks like it's not hardened.

Steve

What about drilling and tapping the jaws to install hardened liners?

clamp something small and tight in it, very low down between the jaws, run an endmill between the faces of the jaws to hold a set of new jaws, disassemble it and install the new jaws with counter sunk allen head capscrews.
that would be a fun project.

Back