Need Spring Source

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
OK guys, I have drawn a blank so far. Anyone have a source on micro extension springs? I am talking about a size of 0.039 OD, 0.0040 wire, closed end, and best I can tell, about 0.240 free length. I have found a few small spring sources, but the smallest yet offers a smallest OD of 0.099 OD. I have looked through my salvage stuff and have found some small ones, but not yet small enough.

This is for the lens cover leaves on my daughter's Coolpix camera. She dropped it at the races, and I thought I had picked up all the parts, but evidently not. The leaves do not open when you power up the camera as they should. I may end up with a fixed optically clear round cemented in place permanently give the lens some protection.

And while we're talking micro, I have apparently lost a screw from a custom knife. It's a 2-56 x .375 flat head socket cap screw. No stock at the local fastener houses. Any chance one of you knife guys, or anyone else could spare one for me? Glad to kick in a couple of bucks for the trouble. I know the screw isn't worth as much as the trouble, but if I could get someone to drop one on the mail, I'd be grateful. No rush at all. It's been missing for a while, I'm just trying to catch up on some of these little nagging projects. This knife is one of a kind. It was prototyped for Kabar, and they furnished the blade. I just did the rest. But apparently I didn't buy any extra screws or can't find them. Thanks for any help.

Hey Tony, Try this, microfastners.com

pineyfolks, thanks for the reference, but they were not able to help me.

I checked my two go to sources (Essentra of Muskegon, MI and Jones Spring of Wilder, KY) and they only go down to a 0.125" extension spring. Sorry, can't help.

I have some 2-56 x 0.500" flat head cap screws. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll mail you as many as you need. Don't worry about the shipping, they're pretty small (0.171" head diameter), should be able to tape them to a piece of paper and mail them in a letter.

Bruce

Oh, I can find the screws all over the place, just run into high shipping and minimum orders etc.....not much cooperation found.

Bruce, that would be perfect. I have no problem cutting them to length. PM coming.

Oh, I can find the screws all over the place, just run into high shipping and minimum orders etc

Order 1 or 10 and the shipping was $4.95....That's why I like that outfit. Sure it adds a lot to the price of the screws but no minimum is required so at least a guy can get them "somewhat" reasonable.

I understand, but it still galls me to pay that much when I need a single $0.15 screw.

Back