Need some suggestions

Sandia

Active User
Registered
A friend asked me to sharpen some planer knives for him and I was wondering how you guys would go about it.

The knives are 11/16W X 16" long X 3/16" thick. I was trying to figure out how to make a jig to hold it on my surface grinder. I can shape the wheel to appx. 38 degree which is the angle on the cutting side. Does that sound like it would work? I would have to figure out how to hold the blades on the magnetic vise. Have never tried to do something like that, any suggestions.

i made a fixture long ago for sharpening meat flaker blades that consisted of a block of steel with one corner milled at 45* , some hold down bolts and some locating pins.
the knife edge projected so it could be sharpened in a horizontal grinder

you can adjust your angle and do the same thing.
the block of steel had enough mass (3"x3"x8") for the mag chuck to work with

Last edited:
I would hold the blade at the proper angle and face the wheel flat, that way you can move across the blade as normal and get a better grind.

That would require a jig something like this one. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/super-sharp-fixture-planer-blades-37958/#post328175

I couldn't find a picture of an actual commercial planer blade sharpener, but the principal is the same. The commercial ones are normally made of heavy iron castings.

my fixture was basically the same thing, although not as elegant :grin:
i used pins across the bottom of the blade and used the holes already in the blade to secure the blade to the fixture

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I like the picture Jim, that gives me several ideas. I had thought about milling a jib along the same lines, but wasn't sure I wanted to put that much time and material in something I may never use again. I also agree with facing the wheel flat instead of at an angle is the best ideas.

As usual, someone always comes up with some good advice.

Thanks again

My knives that I sent out to Forrest blades (some of the top WW blades ) were unbelievable when they came back. They did not run the length of the blade instead across the short length.. Just saying.

Back