Need some setup advice

Dman1114

Active User
Registered
I would like to take this tie rod end and turn down the thread shank then cut new threads....

not quite sure how to go about setting this up in my lathe .... Anyone have any ideas ? best way to tackle this...

I thought about making 3 small spacers and chucking it in my 3 jaw..... Just don't want to eat one of them if it something goes wrong...

I'd probably make a T-style split block and chuck that up in my four jaw. I'd take a piece of square stock and drill a thru hole matching the OD of the larger piece. I'd cross drill a hole roughly the same diameter of those hex peaks on the threaded portion. I would drill and tap for set screws to act on those wrench flats for more solid positioning. Then, bandsaw the whole block in half through the center of both bores and there you go. A somewhat repeatable clamp block!

Hold my beer...

I cant see the end of the rod end but some of them come apart with a split or snap ring. May be obvious but if that is the case id take it apart and grab the hex, zero and cut. If your not that lucky, Im not; Id take a piece of material about as thick as the hex on the threaded stud and machine a hex on the outside and inside, then saw it in half and clamp in the the whole unit in the chuck and machine. You could also cut a double D shape with flats that fit the hex and "D's" that will clear the opposing points, then drill and tap the piece so when split two small screws will clamp the "jig" on the hex and the rectangular shape can be put into a 4 jaw and zeroed.

If the parts go together then they come apart. At least the ones I have come across do.
Then grab the hex in a chuck and cut/thread.

As stated in the previous post, take it apart. There is no way that was made out of a single piece.

I'd probably make a T-style split block and chuck that up in my four jaw. I'd take a piece of square stock and drill a thru hole matching the OD of the larger piece. I'd cross drill a hole roughly the same diameter of those hex peaks on the threaded portion. I would drill and tap for set screws to act on those wrench flats for more solid positioning. Then, bandsaw the whole block in half through the center of both bores and there you go. A somewhat repeatable clamp block!

Hold my beer...

Why not buy a rod end that takes a thru bolt https://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-ends/=16v3uqj some what better than the one you have, if need be you bay need to make a bushing for the thru bolt.

fixit

Back