Need Some Parts Plasma Cut In 1/4" Mild Steel In Ma / S. Nh

chip_slinger

Active User
Registered
Hi all. I'm looking to see if someone who has a CNC plasma can cut out some parts for me for a reasonable price. Material is 1/4" mild steel. I'm north of Boston, near Woburn / Burlington area. Or maybe you know a shop around there that you could point me to.

I need 4x of the wing part, 4x of the arm part and 2x of the mount part. Please let me know if you can do this job for me.

Thanks, Mike.

Wing
View media item 95608
Arm
View media item 95605
Mount
View media item 95606
What the Assembly Looks Like
View media item 95607

I cannot enlarge your pics enough to get an idea of the dimensions. Those parts can be plasma cut, water jet cut, or laser cut. Do not have preconceptions of which is cheaper or better. First, call the various shops in your area and ask what drawing formats they can use directly on their machines, or with the least processing. Then draw it up in the requested format and ask for a CASH quote. If you can wait a bit until they have a job using 1/4" plate, which should not be long, say so and they can cut if off the same plate and save you some money. Flexibility in material also helps. Not being in a rush is also an asset at times, depending on their current work load. Tell them all this, and repeat it in writing. The more you can make their work easy and fit into their work flow, the cheaper quote you will get. The difference in pricing can be astounding. We were able to get several larger and small lots of parts made quite cheaply by using these ideas. Send the files by email, have a company name on it, even if fictitious, and see how the quotes come back. We did not end up using plasma cutting, and also found that accuracy of the work was equally astoundingly accurate with both water jet and laser cutting from the company we chose, and the prices very close to the same. YMMV. Parts can also be as complicated as you wish, the only things really charged for are time, material, and total inches of cut. The job can be done with only one trip to the shop required, to pick up the pieces. In our case, the drawings were sent from 100 miles away, and I picked up the parts less than three miles from my house a few days later. I can't stress enough the importance of being a good CUSTOMER and not a PITA.

Mike,

I don't have the equipment to do your job, but Bob is correct about reading the dimensions. Either the JPG's are out of focus or the resolution is inadequate. I wasn't able to even figure out whether the dimensions are in inches or mm (most shops will prefer the former and some will charge more if they have to convert the latter).

Thanks Bob and Robert for the comments on the pictures. I took screenshots instead and that made them better. See below. I am open to all processes and the tolerances are pretty wide. This will end up being a simple weldment and it's not very critical. What kind of shops do this kind of work so I can seek them out?

Wing
View media item 95610
Arm
View media item 95609
Mount
View media item 95611

Mike,

Probably called Fabrication Shops, but they usually supply completed parts (meaning that they also do welding). If you were in South Texas I could recommend one. :)

I can probably do it for you. I am in SE Virginia and can put the parts in a box and send them to you.
If it is something you are interested in I can put together a more finite quote and we can work something out. I use Paypal and cut parts for friends all the time. You are looking at about $50 plus shipping to have it done out of HRPO grade 50.

Back