Need Some Opinions On Value Of Mill

tpic402

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an old friend who would like to sell me his 1980 supermax yc stephead pulley mill with dro and power feed, condition is pretty good it has wear on ways, they appear not to be chromed. Motor has bearing noise (small though) everything works fine. He wants me to set the price and I do not want to short change him. I do know he paid $2500 in the 1980's and added enco power feed and a millright dro. The fellow is 83 and I want to treat him fair but I also like a good deal

Boy, that is a tough one. I think I would shoot the ball back in his court and ask what he thinks is a fair price. For myself it all depends on how bad I want it. If I didn't need it I would be straight up and tell him that I really don't need it so it's only worth $xxx to me. You might do better on Craig's list. If I did want it, tooling would help determine the price, but again I would let him throw out a number.

Hey Mr. VanNorman your 2 cents, and ARKnack's 2 cents add up to .04. Heck of a lot better than I started with. I just want to be fair I do not want bitter feelings Ya Know!.

I would think 1800 to 2000 would be in the ball park. Just my two cents.

This sounds reasonable to me also . I sold a BP and an Enco last year both in VG condition simarly tooled for $2200 and $2600 . I thru in some tooling and all original documents with each machine . I'm sure the location also plays a role , but DVN's numbers seem appropriate . ( now you have .6 cents ) Good luck , hope you get it !

Yes I got the mill had to give more than I wanted at $2500, by the time I bought a DRO and power feed for my index mill I figure I am ahead.

I paid $3K for an 1984 similar to yours under similar conditions this month. It also had a set of collets, a 15" Bridgeport rotary table and a 6" Bridgeport vice. I thought I paid ALL it was worth, hopefully not too much.

Location is so key in pricing. My neck of the woods I paid 3500 for my BP 15 yrs ago have amassed much in tooling I think my set up would fetch about 5000 now. I've seen a lot of discussion on forms about how wimpy and Flexible BP style mills are, I've got a KT 310 S15 also and it can sure take big cuts and remove lots of metal, but I don't feel that the machines are really comparable. Different machines and they do different jobs well. Any one have more than one hammer? Different hammers? Different jobs...............Talk about 2 cents, not sure that opinion is even worth that. Tim

Back