Need Some Ideas On Adapting A Vertical Head To A Horizontal Overarm

barnett

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a small U.S Machine tool co horizontal mill and I would like to mount a vertical head on it. The head I have is a Bridgeport C head ( i think ) the quill doesn't move. The overarm is a single 2.25" rod. I'm fairly new at this and need some ideas on mounting it.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of making a vertical head for my little Atlas horizontal mill. Much smaller machine, though. I toyed with the idea of using the overarm support rod, 1.25 IIRC, but decided to use a 3" square aluminum block about 6-7" long instead. A plate has a boss that fits in the overarm bore, and a big bolt draws the plate in tight. The spindle head is secured to the plate with SHCS. Right now I'm stuck until my SB9A is running. One thing I will do is flycut the headstock of the mill flat where the plate mounts, and drilling a hole for a pin to help prevent the head from twisting.
Note that even your machine would be rather light duty as a vertical mill, if you rely solely on clamping on the overarm support bar. Maybe an X1 or X2 sized head from LMS could be adapted to your mill. R8 or MT spindle.
Maybe a suitable sized pipe flange as a starting point, build out from there.

Thanks, I will have to look into the heads at LMS.

I finally got my vertical head mounted, I went with the overarm mount. Here's what it looks like...

My little Burk came with an original vertical head, it simply clamps to the round overarm. I did replace the motors with two DC drives.
upload_2016-4-2_9-28-55.png

Edit: Another photo.

ry%3D400

The Burk gets little use, as I have a Bridgport clone. But sometimes it is handy when a horizontal arbor mill is needed.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Last edited:
I've got an ancient B&S 1 1/2 horizontal mill for which I fabbed a vertical head from scratch. Well, almost. I cheated and used the drive gears from an outboard motor and V belt drive. It mounts to the over ram and the knee dovetails with wedges. It worked great, but now I have a huge Induma so the vertical head sits on a shelf gathering dust and chips.

A Google search turned up some ideas if you still need them.
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...q=vertical milling attachment horizontal mill

Back