Need Some Help With Newly Acquired Atlas Lathe

Anthony G

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone. Nice to be part of your group. I just bought my first home lathe, an Atlas, and am trying to find out some info on it. The deal was right. Here's what I do know. It is a 10" with a 42" bed and it has Timken bearings in the headstock. I don't know the model number or serial number. There is no plate on the end of the lathe. There is a LIGHTLY stamped number on the right front way: TV9603S. When I Google TV9603S I get no relevant results, so I don't know what this number is. I've been over the rest of it and cannot find any other relevant numbers, only some casting and/or specific part numbers and such. There's a raised "942" number on the inside of the bed casting between two ribs and a stamped "C" between two other ribs. I'd like to find out the tailstock spindle taper (which I believe may be a 2MT) and the headstock taper (possibly a 3MT) to get started so I can get some needed tooling for it. Also, I'd like to know what type of oil to use in the oilers for the bearings. I need to get a drill chuck w/ arbor for the tailstock and would like to get a set of collets (suggestions on best type appreciated) with closer. It came with a 3-jaw chuck, 2 four-jaw chucks, a face plate, numerous dogs, a complete set of change gears. It has the lantern style tool holder with a couple holders. I'd like to get a QC tool holder for it. I'd also like to get a steady rest for it someday, too. I think this is enough to start. Help identifying this lathe would be greatly appreciated. If any other info is needed, just ask. Thanks for any help.

IMG_0651.jpg IMG_0653.jpg IMG_0650.jpg IMG_0652.jpg IMG_0655.jpg IMG_0654.jpg IMG_0656.jpg

Last edited:
The model number should be at bed far end next to the lead screw support

For oil, look in the "Machine Accessories" forum. The thread "Of Machine Oilers and Oil" may be some help.

Congrats on the lathe! I just purchased my lathe this past weekend. I will be watching this thread to see what those more knowledgeable suggest. I do believe 20W oil is recommended (non detergent). Again, congrats.

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the site!

Congrats on the nice looking lathe.

You say it likely has a MT-3 taper headstock spindle, that can be used with collets like this:
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/collet-set-mt3-11-pc.html
those are closed/tightened with a threaded rod used as a draw bar.

However, if the lathe has a threaded spindle nose, I have found these collet systems extremely useful:
http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php

The benefit over the Morse taper ones is:
1) they allow you to hold long work up to the size of the spindle thru-bore, as you do not have a draw bar limiting work depth, and
2) they release the work when you loosen the nut. With the collets that go inside the spindle bore you need to pound the draw-bar to drive the tapers apart

-brino

EDIT: those Beall sets are standard ER-32 collets, so you can get other sizes, metric, square, etc. ones too.

The TV stands for Timken bearings and Vertical countershaft. The numbers are the serial number.
What you have is a 10X24" lathe. You are correct on MT3 for the spindle and MT2 for the tailstock.
Pierre

You may find that the tail stock bears a number on the front left end or at the rear end & if your very lucky this will also match both chucks , the chuck jaws as well as the face plate .
My Sphere lathe appears to be an Atlas lathe made in the USA in parts as it , "looks very Atlas " & uses a lot of the same parts and was finished off in the UK around 1943 so it might be unique in this aspect

In addition, your model number is TV42. 942C is the bed part number. The Serial Number is 9603. Pierre explained the TV. No one knows what the S meant.

The correct oil to use is SAE 20 ND (AKA ISO 68) on everything except the gear teeth. There you use a moderately tacky grease. Some have recommended motorcycle chain oil. And a few other things. I have always used Lubriplate lithium based grease.

Thanks to everyone for replying.

Kernbigo..................Thanks for the info, and although I understand that's where it should be, I have been over the lathe high and low and cannot find anything. The only number I did find was the TV9603S number, which I don't know whether is a Model or Serial number or neither.

RangeMaster1..........thanks for that info. I will check that out just as soon as I'm finished responding.

plus1hdcp................thanks for info on the 20W. I will be checking on that when I check out the thread that Rangemaster1 suggested.

brino.............I like that little Beall collet chuck. ER style is definitely in the running. I would rather find a reasonably priced 5C holder, though, since there are more options. The biggest thing right now is finding out what the tailstock taper is, which starts with finding out what lathe model I have. And I'm not 100% sure that the spindle taper is MT3. Nor am I sure that the tailstock is MT2.

pdentrem...............All great info. Thank you for confirming the spindle tapers and clarifying the TV number that is stamped on the front way. But, how did you arrive at 24" for the length? I measured the bed at 42"? Or, was that a typo?

Round In Circles...........I will inspect the tailstock more carefully and report back if I find (or don't find) any numbers. Thanks

wa5cab.........thank you. I ran it last night for a short time. I wanted to make sure the lead screw, the carriage, crossfeed, etc worked properly. The PO wasn't using the power feed. I had to install one gear, not sure what it's called (maybe "bull gear" or "drive gear"?) in order to power the screw. Everything seemed to work fine. I did liberally coat the gears with a grease I have on hand as they were completely dry. I had to clean them first. Now, knowing the right oil to use, I can lubricate the other critical points and feel better about running it. Thank you again for the great info. Is there any way by chance that you can ascertain the year of the lathe knowing it is a TV42 with a serial of 9603? I would just like to know, if it is possible to know.

Thanks to everyone again for the great info. I'm checking around right now for a drill chuck(s) and corresponding arbors for the tailstock. That is certainly first on my list. Next is probably a QCTP. Then maybe the collet chuck or closer and some collets. Who knows after that. Someday, in the distant future, I may fully restore the lathe. But that's off in the distance.

Another question I have is there any info/literature available for my lathe? I looked around a little on here, but didn't really find any.

Last edited:
hi this is my first post.
i dont want to confuse anybody about what the s means, and dont want to take over this thread. i will start a new one about my new to me 9 inch lathe, yes nine. it has the serial number 4416 s. maybe it means the overhead drive. i mean drive on top of the spindle.
excuse please my english, i am german.
ernst

View attachment 106675View attachment 106674
That's a really interesting looking Atlas. I like the guarding. What part of Germany are you from? My grandparents (mother's parents) were from Blankenese (spelling?). I have been there twice, but I was much younger.

Back