Need some advice on first tooling for new PM-30MV

Hey Mark, just a heads up regarding referring to Ebay by any other name. I did, mashing two common terms, and was accused of being "disrespectful" or some such. The post was altered by the same moderator.

I have an Accusize face mill, it's their higher end Northward brand, a very nice piece.

Would also recommend an ER collet set and R8 chuck. I started with ER32 generic off ebay. Just recently got the Techniks ER40 set and a Shars ER40 chuck and am very satisfied. Either size should be fine, depending on your needs.

I am very pleased with YG-1 tooling (I have some of their end mills, spotting drills, and spiral taps). Made in Korea and very nice.

My apologies, I should have been a little more clear in my original post. I do (some) manual machining and a whole lot of CNC machining for a living (automotive parts), this is just the first mill that I’ve bought for my home so I’m by no means a total beginner.

I was mostly asking about their quality because at work we use Tungaloy and Seco tooling with a couple others sprinkled in but for the most part their prices are too high for a non-production environment so I’ve been looking around for lower cost alternatives.

I do absolutely appreciate your response, I have some cheaper HSS end mills to get a feel for this specific machine and once I do I plan to move on to carbide pretty quickly. Ultimately this machine will be converted to CNC, but of course I’m going to play with it in the meantime.

Get in good with the guy in the tool crib as the worn out stuff or obsolete sometimes get tossed.

Small mills and solid carbide do not get along but carbide inserts work if you can get decent holders.

The collet with set screws are handy as easy to change but only need maybe 3/8 and 1/2 and harbor freight once sold a decent set of 2 and 4 flute end mills for reasonable price.

We get most of our tooling in the used department of a local machine dealer where one end is chilled but other good for a buck.

Brought it home yesterday! It’s currently disassembled in my basement due to PM forgetting to include the leveling feet on the skid. I feel all 690 lbs this morning..

16E95DAB-9168-434E-B48A-5E5BFC4998A4.jpeg

Congratulations Andrew, Christmas came early! Good job getting it into your basement, hope your back is still intact.

Afaik, leveling feet would not be included, as that would be left up to the individual's particular requirements.

Enjoy your new mill.

Congratulations Andrew, Christmas came early! Good job getting it into your basement, hope your back is still intact.

Afaik, leveling feet would not be included, as that would be left up to the individual's particular requirements.

Enjoy your new mill.

I ordered them with the mill, $17/piece! Sure wish they were included!

I’m sure they’ll make it right.

I'm sure you looked in the tool box, but yes Matt will definitely make it right.

I'm sure you looked in the tool box, but yes Matt will definitely make it right.

Definitely did, I thought I had set them somewhere and couldn’t find them, fortunately I didn’t and they confirmed that they didn’t make it on the skid. All is well, they’re on the way to me now.

By now you have mastered the little mill. Give us your impressions.
I've been buying some used tooling and sharpening it on a Shars universal end mill cutter grinder. It's a pain to get setup but once there it doesn't take long to sharpen a 3/4" 4 flute end mill. I only use the CBN or diamond wheels. Don't want the grit from AO all over the shop. It also works well on lathe tooling.

Back