Need some advice first project out of mill

Cb750r

Registered
Registered
Hi I'm just a rookie, I've made these parts in a taig mill, but need some advice on the next step. These will be clamps that will fit on my motorcycle forks to affix the turn signals and headlight bracket. So next steps are to cut a slot through the rectangular portion to make it a clamp as well as drilling and taping the piece

im im thinking drilling first the. Cutting, then taping is the way to go, sound right?

second, question. What to use to cut a nice clean 1/8" cut? I have a big abrasive chop saw that will destroy thi piece, air cut off tools that aren't much better, and a hacksaw I've considered just milling with a small cutter but that will take ages!

Tips tricks, or time to buy more tools?

image.jpg

One possibility, with only a lathe to work with is to take a slitting saw, mounted on a straight shank arbor, and hold it in your lathe chuck. Attach the clamp you fabricated to your tool post in some way (use a clamp, fixture, even a tool holder, etc) and use your cross feed to feed the clamp into the slitting saw.

JMHO

-Ron

On edit: Don't know why I was thinking you were limited to a lathe. Slitting saw/arbor/mill easy enough.

Last edited:
I would drill it and counter bore it then cut it then tap it. Remember the side thats not threadeed will need to be a tick larger radius then the threaded side. So two counter bores if you planned to in set the screw.

If I did not have a vert bandsaw for that kinda part, I would clap some flat steel to it as a guide and cut it with an angle grinder. Time you set up one for a non critical cut like that you could be done cutting and filing the edges.

slitting saw seems the logical choice.

"I would drill it and counter bore it then cut it then tap it. Remember the side thats not threadeed will need to be a tick larger radius then the threaded side."

I agree with Chuck. Drill for the tap, then mill a clean slot with a 1/8" end mill, then drill a clearance hole on the side that passes the screw and then tap the threaded side. Cutting a 1/8" slot won't take but a few minutes on your mill.

Grant, the easy way is to come to Ktown for coffee tomorrow, then drop over to my shop and we'll do what needs to be done. Frank's pushing to get a coffee meet going. Watch the bike forum or PM me.

I would drill it and counter bore it then cut it then tap it. Remember the side thats not threadeed will need to be a tick larger radius then the threaded side. So two counter bores if you planned to in set the screw.

If I did not have a vert bandsaw for that kinda part, I would clap some flat steel to it as a guide and cut it with an angle grinder. Time you set up one for a non critical cut like that you could be done cutting and filing the edges.

I might tap it before cutting it. It might spring open enough that he would have to clamp it closed with a shim in order to tap it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi I'm just a rookie, I've made these parts in a taig mill, but need some advice on the next step. These will be clamps that will fit on my motorcycle forks to affix the turn signals and headlight bracket. So next steps are to cut a slot through the rectangular portion to make it a clamp as well as drilling and taping the piece

im im thinking drilling first the. Cutting, then taping is the way to go, sound right?

second, question. What to use to cut a nice clean 1/8" cut? I have a big abrasive chop saw that will destroy thi piece, air cut off tools that aren't much better, and a hacksaw I've considered just milling with a small cutter but that will take ages!

Tips tricks, or time to buy more tools?

NICE JOB. Plan on plating them?

Hello there,l take it you are spilling the piece in two thro bore,then drilling,tapping the two parts back together,well l would mill it just like you have,mark a line across front job at c/line,stand it up in vice ,stop on one end,get slot drill,probably long series,and mill a pocket in from each end to accomadate the bolt head,now l would get the clearance drill and drill to c/line depth +say 1/8th.I would mount a saw whatever you have on an arbor that will fit into one of your milling chucks(if you havn,t got one,make one ,you can keep for future work)split the job in 2.when you have done this put the bottom bit back in that is the opposite piece the pocketed part.The reason you went-+1/8th on your depth when drilling your clearancehole was when split it will leave a refrence mark,now put you tappingdrill in and go to depth,hand tap it,finished-Brian

Back