Need Recomendations For A Vise

Helo-tech

Registered
Registered
Hey Guys,

I'm in need of a new vise for my bench top 3 in 1 machine (very similar to the Grizzly 4015S) I know you guys will have some great insight into them. I've poured over previous postings but the amount of info on here is mind boggling.

bearing in mind that I am new to the whole machining thing, I'd like a vise that will be accurate enough to do some decent work when I'm capable but won't break the bank right here at Christmas time. I understand the precision costs $$'s but at my current stage I'm not sure how much precision I need.

any ideas on where to get a decent vise at a decent price??

thanks a ton guys.

A good vise is indescribable. Quicker easier and more accurate. Just fun.
It's worth saving for a Kurt, Glacern, or Eron. Used is ok as long as it's not abused.
Meanwhile do you have hold downs?
While set up is more time consuming than a vise. It will teach you.
Be sure to get the correct size for your mill.

Daryl
MN

Spot on. Save up and buy good tooling. Poor quality tooling will only cause ulcers and headaches. I have bought such tooling and have suffered for it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Buy the best tools possible. Never skimp. If you can stretch to Kurt, Orange, or equivalents, do that. Remember you'll be using this daily for decades.

Glacern has reportedly had some quality problems recently. My 5 year old reversed screw 6" is fine. Might want to do some digging before buying a new one.

Shars carries a Kurt knock-off at a better price, and it has pretty good reviews.

I agree buy the best vise you can afford ( cry once not every time you use it) I bought what I thought I could afford and now wish I had bought better.

I agree buy the best vise you can afford ( cry once not every time you use it) I bought what I thought I could afford and now wish I had bought better.

To quote a chief of mine, many years ago: "Never be tainted by the stench of compromise" (I never knew him to be, either)

Applying that to the present instance, one has a bad-but-tolerable answer: don't buy a better-but-barely-adequate replacement. That is a hard, austere discipline, at which I have often failed. And regretted it, every single time. "Mothers, tell your children...." (that may date me; so be it)

I've got a Homge , i'm happy with it . Matt at Precision Matthews sells them . You could also find them elsewhere im sure. I have some Glacern products (not their vise) but what I have is very nice , and they are very good to deal with too.
I haven't used a shars vise, but anything i've ever gotten from shars seems very good considering the price . Haven't gotten any junk from Shars yet .
I think the youtuber ThisOldTony has a video on a shars vise . What size machine do u have ? If u were a little closer, I have a used Japan vise , 5" that i dont use .
You said you're new to machining ...whatever you get, don't get one too big . I got a HAV6-8 , it's a beast , wish I got a 5" or even a 4 .
Good luck !

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigions :)

I only have a small 3" vice as a lot of things i tend to work are quite small pieces, it cost about £65-75 cant remember exactly. Came with a swivle, its true not using the swivle improves regidity :)

If i'm doing larger parts i attach them using clamping set to the table or some sort of shop made clamping device.

Having a vice is much better than not having one :)

A better vice would be better but i have truly been very happy with mine.

I would be tempted to get somthing resonable and keep an eye out for better vices second hand and snap one up when a good deal pops up.

I do see a lot of good milling vices on ebay so maybe you can just go high end strait away :)

I think a new kurt costs more than what i paid for my mill, owch

Stuart

Back