Need motor specification to correctly size the VFD

rogee

Active User
Registered
I'm home with my new pride and joy, a Hardinge TM mill. Everything looks to be in good shape, now I need to purchased the VFD. This presents a small problem as I can't find a plate on the motor giving me the HP or the amps. The person I bought it from said it had a 1 HP motor however, I thought I had read that the TM came with a 3HP motor. Any advice? Thanks for all of the past help.

Hate to say it but, your out of luck until you know the motor specs. There's nothing wrong with getting a 3 HP VFD and using it on a 1 HP motor. When you program the VFD, you need to enter the motor specs. It usually needs to know RPM, Volts, Amps and Hertz. Sometimes it needs to know the number of poles. Some VFDs are a little smarter and know that motors around 1800 RPM are 4 pole and 3600 RPM units are 2 pole.

Ray

I may be mistaken, but I think member Alan Douglas has that mill. And he is somewhat an expert on electric motors to boot. Perhaps he will see this, or I'm sure he wouldn't mind a PM on it.

I'm home with my new pride and joy, a Hardinge TM mill. Everything looks to be in good shape, now I need to purchased the VFD. This presents a small problem as I can't find a plate on the motor giving me the HP or the amps. The person I bought it from said it had a 1 HP motor however, I thought I had read that the TM came with a 3HP motor. Any advice? Thanks for all of the past help.

I no longer have my Hardinge UM (same machine but with a swiveling table) but my recollection is that it came with a 1/3 HP motor. It was a two speed motor. I believe there's a Hardinge group on Yahoo. You could ask there.

Back