Need more real estate between centers

Nut, interesting. And your tool is stuck out a bit too, which I also need to try.

you could always grind a tool to fit. It can be ground like |\ as long as it has front relief and a smidge of side (leading edge, the | bit) relief it'll cut fine. Stone the tip a wee bit so the end isn't a sharp point (looking down from the top) and you should get a good finish. If its brass then no back rake should be needed.

I made a tool for my Logan that can turn stock from 3/8 dia to 1/8 dia with no chatter . And tool works without a center. Easy to turn a ten inch length Or longer. Search this site for not a follow rest by Jimsehr. If you contact me I will walk you thru how to make one. It would be perfect for making pens.

You might also in addition to skinny centers, get a smaller tailstock chuck which would let you get in closer
-Mark

I use a #2 MT 1/2 dead center to make the pen barrel bushings for my wife. I use a #2MT adapter in a #3 MT tailstock. The Center was a $6 #2 from somebody. I ground a flat side in it and then from around .150 diameter went straight back a short distance. Some of the bushings are down below .300 and I don't have any trouble turning them.
Next solution is Joe Pi did a video on making a live center. You can make one of those and then custom make small pointed rod centers in the diameter you need. He also just made one on using a following rest, so you can see how it works.

Thanks, everyone. This is really helpful. I turned my skinny extension down to .300, which helped a lot. And, I stuck the tool out a half inch. Next will be a half center, which looks like $22 shipped from LMS. Since I don't have a mill that might be my best next option. All of these might be my solutions.

Don't need a mill, just use a grinding wheel. Never made any sense to me why they charge so much more for 1/2 center than a full center. Mine was around $6. Why too much trouble to fixture in mill vs just holding up to side of grinder. Made about 100 pen bushing with it out of O1 & CRS. 12L14 didn't last as long when sanding.

Chewy,
You're of course correct. However, my environmental conditions require that I don't throw metal or metal dust around uncontrollably. Another part of that vast category of things that will go into my next shop, which will be in my next life. Until then...

Tim

Last edited:
Back